Lemony, spicy, creamy, crunchy. This Zucchini salad has it all, it is fresh and light, but served with crusty bread it is substantial enough for lunch.
2016 is in full swing now. Everyone is back at work, double demerits have finished and the 75% off Christmas decorations have gone from the stores. (They have been replaced with Easter stuff....but don't get me started on that!!!!!!!)
I have seen a few friends post Facebook statuses that say they are looking forward to eating some salads and veg after the super rich food of Christmas and New Year. I might not have been listening yesterday when I posted my Cheesy Layered Potatoes....they are cooked with cream and finished with cheese. But I knew I had this salad for you today.
And not just any salad, a wonderful Italian inspired zucchini salad with mozzarella and fresh chilli, all spiked with lemon and garlic. I served this with some crusty rolls as a light lunch, but it would work well as a side with some grilled chicken. Or leave out the mozzarella, add some goats cheese before rolling it all in a toasted flatbread. YUM!!!
The zucchini is served raw, which means it has a lovely crunch and freshness. But this does mean you want to buy the smaller younger zucchini, rather than the fatter ones. I use the mandoline to slice these, but you could use a vegetable peeler. The key is to get it nice and thin so it absorbed the dressing and 'cooks' slightly in the lemon juice.
As for the chilli, add as little or as much as you like. One chilli with the seeds and membrane removed is mild enough for my boys, but for adults I like to keep the seeds in to give it a bit more of a kick. Totally up to you here. If you are not a chilli fan, then just leave it out. It will still be delicious!
If you love this Mozzarella and Spicy Marinated Zucchini Salad why not subscribe to my newsletter, then you can have delicious recipes straight into your inbox. What is more, as a thank you I will send you my soup ebook for FREE!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Also find me on:
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Spicy Marinated Zucchini and Mozzarella Salad
- 1 lemon
- 1 red chillies (2 if you want a kick(
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 300 g zucchini
- 1 mozzarella ball
- fresh basil and parsley to serve
- Zest the lemon into a large bowl, then cut it in half and squeeze in the juice.
- Finely chop the chilli (remove the seeds and membranes for a milder taste) and add to the lemon.
- Crush the garlic and place into the bowl with the chilli and lemon.
- Pour in the olive oil and stir well with a fork until well combined.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Finely slice the zucchini. You want slices that are about 2.5mm thick. (I use the mandoline)
- Add the zucchini to the dressing and toss well.
- Leave it to stand for a few of minutes then spread over a serving platter.
- Drain the mozzarella and then carefully rip into small pieces.
- Scatter the mozzarella over the zucchini and then top with some chopped basil and parsley.
Mozzarella and Spicy Marinated Zucchini Salad