This Oven Baked Mexican Chicken Schnitzel is such a great dinner idea for the whole family.
The chicken is coated in breadcrumbs and a pinch of taco seasoning, then popped in an oven to bake to a crispy golden brown. This is a healthy way to make schnitzel!
Then for the toppings – lime, avocado, beans, tomato and a sprinkling of cheese, mean this baked chicken schnitzel is sure to be a hit!
How to Make Mexican Chicken Schnitzel
This Mexican chicken schnitzel follows the same process as my oven baked chicken schnitzel. That is to say:
The breadcrumbs are toasted first to create a crispy crumb to the chicken.
The chicken is coated in a paste/batter which ensures the breadcrumbs stick to the chicken.
The schnitzels are baked in the oven hot and fast, to give them a crispy crust and a juicy exterior.
There are a couple of adjustments to make these more Mexican than Austrian.
Firstly the breadcrumbs are lightly seasoned with taco seasoning, to give the finished crumb a subtle Mexican tang.
Then when I make the paste for the chicken I add some taco seasoning to this as well to add flavor to the chicken.
Toppings for Mexican Chicken Schnitzel
You can mix and match the toppings to suit your family. If your family isn’t keen on beans then add tomato instead. If you like it spicy then add some jalapenos. Hate cilantro, then just leave it off. Kids won’t eat avocado, then just use sour cream on theirs.
The beauty of this is you can adapt each Mexican Chicken Schnitzel to each family members preferences.
- Smashed avocado
- Sour cream
- Lime juice
- Red kidney beans/Black beans
- Chopped red bell pepper
- Red onion
- Chopped tomato
- Sliced jalapeno
- Fresh cilantro
- Shredded cheese (mozzarella/pepper jack)
What to serve with Mexican Chicken Schnitzel
I like to serve this with some Mexican rice. But it would be great with some sweet potato fries or grilled corn.
Just don’t forget to serve it with some fresh lime wedges.
What to drink with Mexican Chicken Schnitzel
This has to be the perfect meal for a margarita?!!?!
Alternatively, if you have made these extra spicy with plenty of jalapenos then why not try a glass of sweet bubbles. Lambrusco is a wonderful choice and goes together far better than you could imagine!
If you want a dry white then pick something herbaceous to balance the lime and cilantro; try a Sauvignon Blanc.
For the red lovers, a Rioja or Tempranillo is going to be a hit.
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Pin this recipe for Oven Baked Mexican Chicken Schnitzel. Pin it here.
Oven Baked Mexican Chicken Schnitzel
For the breadcrumbs
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- oil spray
For the batter coating
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp AP flour
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt – see note 1
For the chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- oil spray
For the topping
- 1 avocado
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup kidney beans/black beans
- 2 tbsp chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped tomato
- 1 tbsp chopped red onion
- 1 cup shredded cheese – see note 2
- fresh cilantro
- Pre-heat oven to 390ºF/200ºC.
- Mix the panko breadcrumbs with the taco seasoning.
- Spray a baking sheet with a very generous layer of oil then spread the seasoned panko over the tray. Mix gently with your hands.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and increase the oven temperature to 430ºF/220ºC.
- Break an egg into a shallow bowl and lightly whisk to mix the white and yolk. Add in the flour, mayonnaise, mustard, taco seasoning, and salt (if needed) then mix to form a thick paste.
- Place the chicken smooth side up on a sheet of baking paper or gladwrap/clingfilm. Cover with a second sheet and use a rolling pin or smooth meat hammer to flatten the chicken until it is about 1/2inch/1.25cm thick all over. Repeat with all 4 chicken breasts.
- Set a wire rack over a baking sheet and spray/brush lightly with oil.
- Dip the chicken breast into the batter then transfer to the tray of breadcrumbs. Carefully flip the chicken so both sides are well coated with the crispy crumb. Place onto the oiled rack and repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
- Bake the chicken for 10 minutes until crispy and golden.
Whilst the chicken is baking get the toppings ready to go.
- Peel the avocado and remove the pit.
- Use a fork to smash the avocado together with a little salt.
- Once the chicken has cooked turn the broiler to high.
- Top each chicken schnitzel with some smashed avocado
- Sprinkle over the beans, bell pepper, tomato, red onion, and fresh cilantro. Top each schnitzel with 1/4 cup of grated cheese.
- Place under the broiler for 2-4 minutes until melted and golden.
- Serve immediately.
- Check the ingredients of your taco seasoning, if it has salt added then you will not need extra salt.
- You can use any shredded cheese you like. A Mexican blend, Pepper Jack or Mozzarella would be great choices.