This Creamy Mushroom Pasta Recipe is sure to be a hit with vegetarians and meat-eaters alike!
This rich and creamy pasta only takes 20 minutes to make and is a filling and delicious weeknight dinner! The sauce is fully loaded with mushrooms, cream, garlic, parmesan, and thyme to give you a dish that warm and comforting and all made from scratch.
Use your favorite pasta and serve it with a side salad and some garlic bread for a family-friendly dinner.
A quick guide to making creamy mushroom pasta
The mushrooms are cooked in butter and oil until golden garlic butter and thyme are added and cooked until fragrant. The mushrooms are removed from the pan, which is then de-glazed with white wine.
You need to remove the mushrooms from the pan before you add the wine. Otherwise, they will act like sponges and absorb the wine which will make the dish unpleasant to eat.
Once the wine, the mushrooms are returned to the pan along with heavy cream and parmesan. This is simmered gently with fresh thyme until the sauce has thickened.
Whilst the sauce is cooking the pasta can be cooked in plenty of salted boiling water.
- If you can’t get fresh thyme then use an additional ½ teaspoon of dried thyme in with the mushrooms.
- If you can't use or choose not to use alcohol, replace it with vegetable broth.
- The dish calls for plenty of mushrooms so use whichever mushrooms are within your budget. I like to use either Cremini, Baby Bellas or Swiss Browns, but the recipe will work well with plain white mushrooms. Just be sure to really get them golden brown.
Replacing heavy cream - if you would like to reduce the calories and use half and half or milk, then mix 1 teaspoon of cornstarch with 1 teaspoon of cold water and use this along with a cup of half and half to replace the heavy cream. This will thicken the sauce nicely.
Add extra veg - if you want to add some extra veggies, you can add fresh spinach at the end and let it wilt in the hot sauce. Or add some chopped asparagus or frozen peas to the sauce as it is simmering.
Want a kick - if you like your pasta with a bit of spice add ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes to the sauce as it starts to simmer.
Want to make this nonvegetarian - add some cooked shredded chicken or strips of seared steak to the sauce at the end of the cooking time.
Pasta choice - You can use any pasta for this recipe. We prefer Rotini or a long noodle, like spaghetti or linguine.
What to serve with Creamy mushroom pasta
Side: Start with some garlic bread and then add a side salad. A spinach and raw mushroom salad; dressed with a light olive oil and balsamic dressing it is the perfect side dish.
Alternatively, or add some roasted broccoli!
Wine: This dish is just so perfect for serving with a glass of prosecco. The bubbles cut through the rich sauce and the complex flavors complement the meaty savory flavor of the mushroom. Alternatively, team it with a Soave. If you prefer a red wine then pick a light Merlot or Pinot Noir.
Want more Pasta recipe?
- Garlic Butter Pasta with Garlic Chicken
- Creamy Tomato Chicken Chorizo Pasta
- Creamy Lemon Salmon Pasta
- Shrimp Chorizo Pasta
- Pasta with Chicken Broth and Butter
- Easy Garlic Bacon Pasta
- Creamy Pepper Steak Pasta
- Black Truffle Pasta
- See ALL 60+ Pasta Recipes
Pin this recipe for Creamy Mushroom Pasta. Pin it here.
Creamy Mushroom Pasta Recipe
- 12 oz pasta - see note 1
- 1 lb mushrooms - see note 2
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper - be generous!
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (plus extra to serve)
- fresh thyme - for garnish
- Slice the mushrooms.
- Melt the butter and oil together in a large frying pan or skillet.
- Add the mushrooms, dried thyme and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Sauté them until they are golden brown on both sides then add the garlic into the pan and stir together until aromatic.
- Remove the mushrooms to a bowl.
- Add the white wine to the frying pan/skillet and let it sizzle away until it has reduced by at least half.
- Add the thyme leaves, heavy cream, and the parmesan.
- Bring to a simmer and then add the mushrooms back in.
- Stir well to combine, then check the seasoning.
- Turn the heat down to the lowest simmer whilst the pasta cooks.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, salt it well and then add the pasta. Cook for 1 minute less than the packet suggests. Once cooked, reserve a cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta.
- Add the drained pasta and ¼ cup of the cooking water.
- Stir well adding more pasta cooking water if needed.
- Serve immediately with extra parmesan cheese and fresh thyme.
- You can use any pasta for this recipe. We prefer Rotini or a long noodle, like spaghetti or linguine.
- I like to use either Cremini, Baby Bellas or Swiss Browns, but the recipe will work well with plain white mushrooms.
Valerie Crain says
This dish is so delicious. I've made it twice. It is officially my go to favorite dishe.
Claire McEwen says
Oh I am so pleased 🙂
Pasta is always a go to of mine too!