These one-pan Cheesy Chicken Breasts make the perfect midweek meal, as they are easy to make but don't skimp on flavor.
The tender chicken fillets are topped with a trio of cheeses – mozzarella for that gooey, stretchy factor, cream cheese for a velvety smoothness, and parmesan for that sharp, savory kick – all mingling together with the rich aroma of garlic and the freshness of parsley.
Ready in under 30 minutes, this dish is perfect for busy weeknights. Add some potatoes and a salad or veg, and you have a delicious meal the whole family will love.
These notes are here to help make this recipe a success; they cover some but not all ingredients. For a complete ingredient list, check out the recipe card below.
Chicken: The recipe uses 2 chicken breasts and cuts them into fillets. This helps them cook quickly and stay juicy. You can buy fillets at the grocery store and skip the cutting stage.
Cream cheese: We love the creaminess this gives the topping; I tried low-fat cream cheese, but the results weren't as good, so I recommend a full-fat cream cheese.
Mozzarella: Perfect for the stringy cheese pull, I use pre-grated cheese for this recipe for ease and speed. But you could grate low-moisture mozzarella or cut it into small dice.
Dried Chives: These add an extra oniony hit to the cheesy topping; you can leave them out if you don't have any.
We've tested this recipe at least 3 times to ensure it works well for you, have a look at our tips for getting the best dish you can!
- Get the cream cheese out of the refrigerator for at least an hour before you make this dish. You want it to be really soft so you can easily mix through the other ingredients.
- Before cutting the chicken into fillets, pat it dry on both sides with kitchen paper. This helps prevent it from slipping about the chopping board, making it easier to cut.
- When you cut the chicken, hold a large sharp knife parallel to the chopping board and cut through the chicken like you were opening up a book. (See pictures below.)
- When broiling the cheesy topping, watch it carefully. It can go from perfect to burnt in a matter of seconds.
Why You'll Love These Cheesy Chicken Breasts
These are all just suggestions and things that have worked in our test kitchen, but it is your dinner, so adapt it to suit your family. That is the beauty of cooking; we can all create our own delicious meals.
- Different Cheese: Swap the mozzarella and parmesan for any cheese you love. A blue cheese would be delicious in there, as would a nutty Swiss cheese.
- Add spinach: Add some chopped spinach leaves to the cheese cream cheese mixture.
- Add spice: Mix some chopped jalapenos into the cheese mixture.
- Add bacon: Everything is better with bacon! Add some crispy bacon to the top of your chicken once it is cooked.
- Add Tomato: Nestle the cooked chicken breasts into a pan of marinara sauce before adding the cheese topping to the chicken.
Serving Suggestions for Cheesy Chicken Breasts
Sides: These cheesy chicken breasts go with so many different sides. The kids love it when I serve them with Garlic Butter Potatoes and Buttered Carrots and Corn. They are also delicious with Crispy Potatoes and a Side Salad.
Wine: There are so many great wine pairings for this cheesy chicken! I love it with a glass of extra cold Gavi or Vionger. And it goes equally well with a lightly oaked Chardonnay or Chenin Blanc. If you love red wine, it works well with a warm Gamay or Montepulciano.
If you make these Cheesy Chicken Breasts, please come back and comment. You can also tag me on social media.
Any questions about the recipe? Use the comments section below.
Get the Recipe
Cheesy Chicken Breasts
For the chicken
- 2 chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the cheesy topping
- ⅔ cup cream cheese , room temperature
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 1 clove garlic , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
To prepare the chicken
- Place each chicken breast flat on a chopping board and use kitchen paper to pat them dry.2 chicken breasts
- Use a large sharp knife to cut them horizontally into fillets. Ensure you keep the knife parallel to the board and cut sideways through the breast (see the bulk of the post for pictures)
- Repeat with the second chicken breast.
- Cover the fillets with parchment paper or cling wrap and use a meat mallet (or the base of a heavy skillet) to bash the plumper end down.
Prepare the filling
- Mix the cream cheese, mozzarella, parmesan, chopped garlic, parsley, chives, onion powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl.⅔ cup cream cheese1 cup shredded mozzarella½ cup grated parmesan1 clove garlic1 tablespoon fresh parsley1 teaspoon dried chives½ teaspoon onion powder¼ teaspoon salt¼ teaspoon black pepper
Cooking the chicken
- Turn the broiler/grill on to heat up.
- Season the chicken fillets with salt.½ teaspoon salt
- Place a large (ovenproof) skillet over medium-high heat, and once hot, add the olive oil.1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cook the chicken fillets for 3 minutes on each side.
- Once the chicken has cooked, carefully spoon the cheese mixture over each fillet.
- Broil the chicken until the cheesy is melted and golden. This depends on your broiler/grill, but it takes approximately 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition is per serving