Salty, smokey bacon stirred through buttered pasta and dressed with a soft egg. The yolk oozes over the pasta and creates a fabulous additional sauce.
This Brunch pasta dish is simple to make, delicious to eat and costs pennies to make! Winner!!!
If I open the fridge on any given day I know I will find, eggs, milk, bacon, butter, tonic water, parmesan, tomatoes and smoked salmon. There’s probably also a floppy carrot and a dried out spring onion! Oh and a bottle of sparkling wine!!!!!!
Plenty of food in there to make dinner, lunch or breakfast, and even an evening drink! That all said it doesn’t stop me reaching for the pasta on an almost daily basis. We all love it, I have a collection of pasta shapes that would rival Giada’s and I never run out of ideas.
So I fell back onto one of my favourite dishes, my brunch pasta with bacon and egg. Not just any brunch pasta! A brunch pasta that takes me right back to uni, when brunch meant a meal served somewhere around 1pm, drinking red bull and watching re-runs of Quincy and trying to pick the longest straw so you didn’t have to do the washing up.
Ha, those were the days!!! Oh and of course loads and loads of studying (Just in case my Dad is reading this 😉 )
Back then the bacon was the cheap offcuts, the eggs were probably caged and there was a very real lack of green herbs. But essentially the dish has remained the same.
Bacon and onion cooked slowly in olive oil so the bacon releases all it’s salty smoky goodness into the oil. This mixed with a little pasta water and a pat of butter and you have an instant sauce for your pasta.
Garnish with a sunny side up egg, a sprinkling of parsley and serve to be demolished whilst watching Peter Falk explain it all. Wait that was Columbo!!! 😉 Ha, I know Quincy was Jack Klugman. And both shows were regular brunch re-run entertainment!
Now a days this dish is served on a Sunday around 11, with a cup of coffee and Pokemon on the TV….Oh how life has changed….apart from the washing up, I still wish I could get out of that one.
For more delicious pasta recipes why not try:
- Garlic Butter Pasta with Garlic Chicken
- Shrimp Chorizo Pasta
- Pasta with Chicken Broth and Butter
- Creamy Rosemary Chicken Pasta
- Creamy Chicken and Bacon Pasta
- Roasted Cauliflower Pasta with Creamy Garlic Sauce
- Pasta with Roasted Fennel
- Creamy Pepper Steak Pasta
- Pork Stroganoff with Buttered Noodles
- Black Truffle Pasta
- See ALL 48+ Pasta Recipes
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Pin this recipe for Brunch Pasta with Bacon and Egg. Pin it here.
Brunch Pasta with Bacon and Egg
- 5 oz bacon
- 1/2 onion
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 5 oz short pasta
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- Finely chopped parsley
- Dice the bacon and set aside.
- Peel and finely dice the onion.
- Place the bacon into a cold skillet with the oil and set it over a medium heat.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add a generous pinch of salt and cook pasta for a minute less than the packet suggest.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking give the bacon a stir, it should be starting to crisp slightly. Add in the onion and season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes until the onion is translucent and soft.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter.
- Reserve a cup of the pasta cooking water then drain the pasta.
- Tip the bacon mixture along with 1/4 cup of the water into the pasta pan, add the pasta and set over a low heat and stir well.
- Pour the vegetable oil into the skillet and fry the eggs until the white is set but the yolk is still soft and oozy.
- Stir the pasta again, adding more water if needed.
- Serve the pasta in large bowls with an egg on top and a final garnish of parsley.