Nutty brown rice, sweet crunch vegetables and flavour packed herbs. This brown rice salad is not your average salad. It is nutritious and delicious.
Everyone who knows me knows I am not a brown rice salad kind of girl. I mean I am not a diet kind of girl! Well I am! My diet is 'if I love it then I will eat it, if I don't love it then you won't find it in my kitchen'.
The few exceptions to this rule, foods I don't love but you will find in my kitchen are:
- Bananas - my kids love them.
- Baked beans - my kids love them.
- HAHAHAHA that is it!!!
Any other food I don't love just doesn't make it. I am sure there must be a food stuff my kids will never know about until they leave home!!!!! But right now I can't think of one!
I love food. Which is why most foods make their way into my kitchen 😉
So yes, I am not a diet or a fad food kind of girl. If you are going to eat then you should eat well!
This doesn't mean fillet steak and freshly shucked oysters everyday. It means food that not only feeds your body but food that feeds your soul. Food that makes you happy and food that you love.
Eating well sometimes just means bread and butter. But delicious freshly baked bread, with a crisp crust and soft inside. Served with cold salted butter. AMAZING!!!!
BUT, what does that have to with brown rice salad??? It does really 😉 You knew it would!!! My crazy brain has a link!
So being the follow of the Sprinkles and Sprouts diet, when a friend gave me a recipe for brown rice salad, I wasn't convinced!!!! Seriously unconvinced!
I had brown rice in my pantry, but that is because I use it to blind bake my pie cases!
But she is a beautiful friend who loves food so I knew I could trusted her. And worse case, I could feed it to the goat right??? 😉
So I cooked the rice, made the salad and well!!!!! Wozza.
Delicious food that made me smile. Yup this fit the bill for good food.
The rice is nutty and delicious, the veg is fresh and crisp and the herbs pack a punch and make everything taste fresh and delicious. Even after a couple of hours in a lunchbox this salad tasted great.
So with thanks to the fabulous Jo, here is Brown Rice Salad, with Garden Vegetables and Italian Herbs. Food that tastes amazing, makes you smile and also has enough of a healthy element to justify a nice big glass of wine alongside.
Come play on Pinterest.
Also find me on:
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Brown Rice Salad with Garden Vegetables and Italian Herbs
For the Salad
- 1 ½ cups brown rice
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 red onion
- 1 red capsicum
- ½ cup sweetcorn (defrosted if frozen)
- ½ cup frozen peas (defrosted)
- 1 spring onions
- ½ cup sultanas
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
For the Dressing
- 3 tbsp cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried basil
To make the Salad
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the salt and then cook the brown rice for 40-45 minutes until soft.
- Rinse couple of times and drain well.
- Set the rice aside to cool.
- Peel and chop the red onion and then chop the capsicum into small dice.
- Heat the oil up in a fry pan and gently sauté the onion for 3 minutes until softened.
- Add in the capsicum, sweetcorn and peas.
- Stir well.
- Add the vegetables to the rice along with the chopped spring onion, sultanas and the chopped fresh herbs.
- Refrigerate until needed.
To make the Dressing.
- Put all dressing ingredients into a mason jar. Screw on the lid and shake well.
- To Serve
- Remove the brown rice salad from the fridge 15 minutes before you want to eat it (less if it is a very warm day)
- Give the dressing another shake and then dress the rice.
If you love food why not subscribe to my newsletter, I will drop you an email every now and then, just to say hi and send you a couple of recipes think you might love, like this Brown Rice Salad with Garden Vegetables.
It isn't everyday! I am not that organised. Usually it is once a week (ish). And as a thank you I will send you my soup cookbook FREE. Full of my fav soups!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.