Balsamic onion and beetroot bake. A deliciously and naturally sweet side dish that is perfect for serving with grilled meats.
Some food just looks beautiful, the colours sing and the dish is like a picture on the plate. This balsamic onion and beetroot bake is almost that dish. When you prepare it and get it all in the roasting tin it is a glorious sight, the deep purple vegetables are flecked with greeny blue thyme. Then you add a gloss of oil and a dark brown drizzle of balsamic vinegar and it looks like a piece of modern art. I think these pictures are some of my favourite food prep photos ever. When I took them I wanted to get them framed and put it on my kitchen wall (in fact I may still do that!!!).
Then I cooked the dish! I was so disappointed, so disappointed that I almost didn’t share the recipe with you. My glorious piece of food art had turned into what looked like lumps of charcoal. At first I thought I had burnt it, but the beetroot was soft and the onions were sweet and caramelised. It wasn’t burnt it just wasn’t pretty.
So I am sharing more photos of before it went into the oven 🙂 this dish is beautiful before it is cooked and delicious when it is cooked.
The sweet beetroot and onion are roasted with balsamic vinegar, oil and fresh thyme. I like to add a drizzle of maple syrup, but that really isn’t necessary. This is a delicious dish without it, but I just love maple syrup
If you love this recipe why not sign up for my FREE weekly newsletter, packed with recipes, tips and tricks.
- 6 small and cleaned beetroot
- 2 red onions
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- Ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160ºC fan forced/Gas mark 4.
- Peel the beetroot and cut into quarters.
- Peel the onion but make sure you leave the root intact.
- Cut the onions in half and then cut each half into 3 segments
- Place the beetroot and red onion into a baking dish.
- Pour over the balsamic vinegar and olive oil (and maple syrup, if using).
- Sprinkle over the fresh thyme and season well with salt and black pepper
- Roast for 45 minutes.