Everyone loves a Thai shrimp salad and these little spoons make a great party appetiser. They are easy to eat, super healthy and look stunning on a party platter. Such a great finger food idea.
The fresh Thai shrimp salad is topped with crispy onions and roasted peanuts, giving it a great crunch.
How to serve Shrimp Salad at a party.
Everyone loves Thai flavors, so Thai shrimp salad will always be a hit at parties. But salad isn’t easy to eat when you have a wine glass in one hand and no one wants to put their wine down at a party!
That is what makes these little spoons so much fun. Everything is cut small, making these a single mouthful appetizer.
You can pick one up, eat it, enjoy it and get back to catching up with your friends. PARTY WINNER!!!
You can use little hors d’oeuvres spoons or the slightly larger Asian spoons. They are pretty cheap in Asian supermarkets.
If you can’t find little spoons then you could serve these in small dishes, but that does make it a harder to eat with a wine glass in your hand.
How to make a lime dressing for your Thai shrimp salad.
The dressing is what makes this Thai salad. It is sweet, sour and salty (and very delicious!)
To make the dressing:
- Mix, lime juice with fish sauce and sugar.
- Then just give it a taste.
- You can add extra sugar or lime juice to balance it to your liking.
What size shrimp should you use for Thai Shrimp Salad?
I like to use extra large shrimp for these Thai salad spoons, as they look generous on the spoons. But you could go down to large or medium large.
But when buying shrimp it is much better to buy by the count as each vendor will have a different idea of what extra large and large maybe.
I would suggest looking for a shrimp with 26/30 count per pound. If you can only buy small shrimp (51/60 count) then you might want to add 2 shrimps per spoon.
Why not pin this recipe for Thai Shrimp Salad Appetizer Spoons. Pin it here.
Thai Shrimp Salad Appetizer Spoons
- 1/2 english cucumber
- 2 green onions
- 1 long red chilli
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 lb cooked shrimp - 26/30 count see note 1
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 2 tbsp fried onions see notes 2
- Cilantro leaves to serve
- Cut the cucumber into batons and remove the seeds. Then chop the batons into small dice and place in a non-metallic bowl.
- Thinly slice the green onions and add them to the bowl.
- See and finely chop the red chlli, then add it to the bowl with the cucumber and onion.
- Mix the lime juice, fish sauce and sugar together and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Taste your dressing and adjust to your preference.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to combine.
- Place a heaped teaspoon of the the cucumber mixture into each spoon and top with a shrimp (see note 1)
- Sprinkles over some roasted peanut, crispy onion and garnish with a cilantro leaf.
- Whilst 26/30 count shrimp look generous, you can use a smaller count. If you go above 50 count then I would add two shrimp to each spoon.
- Crispy onions are sold in shakers in the salad dressing aisle of the supermarket. Or you can buy crispy shallots at the Asian supermarket.
If you love food why not subscribe to my newsletter, I will drop you an email every now and then, just to say hi and send you a couple of recipes I think you might love, like these Thai Shrimp Salad Appetizer Spoons.
It isn’t everyday! I am not that organised. Usually it is once a week (ish). And as a thank you I will send you my soup cookbook FREE. Full of my fav soups!
Subscribe today 🙂