Sweet, juicy chicken with the wonderful flavour of Thai massaman curry, served with some delicious roasted potatoes, plain rice and a rich Thai gravy. This is roast dinner with a booster pack on!
A few weeks back I shared my Massaman Curry Paste with you, planning to share this recipe for roasted massaman chicken within a few days. Then the school holidays happened, rain happened, hail happened and somehow this chicken came and went. Which makes me sad as chicken this good should never just come and go.
This is a dish to be celebrated as it is beautiful, delicious and falls well and truely into my favourite way to eat roast dinners….i.e not like roast dinners at all. I might have mentioned once or twice that I am not a big, traditional carvery style roast dinner fan. Once or twice maybe??? 😳
And I am sure it is in plenty of other posts 😉
So yes, whilst roast dinner with all the trimmings isn’t my favourite, roast chicken is a firm favourite. I love it so much that a couple of weeks back I created a roast chicken roundup of 19 slightly different ways to roast a chicken!
Anyway, back to the curry!!! The chicken is generously coated in curry paste, roasted with potatoes and some stock to make it super juicy. Then whilst the chicken rest you make a coconut gravy that is perfect with the potatoes and some plain rice.
I sometimes save the potatoes, add some baby peas to the massaman gravy and serve just chicken, rice and gravy. Then the cold potatoes are amazing, sliced and fried off the following day with a egg. The breakfast of champions! So good!
So if you are a bit of a roast chicken fan, but want something a little different then give this a go, I promise you won’t be disappointed.
If you love this recipe for Massaman Roast Chicken why not subscribe to my newsletter, then you can have delicious recipes straight into your inbox. What is more as a thank you I will send you my soup ebook for FREE!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Also find me on:
Let’s share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Massaman Roasted Chicken
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 lime
- whole chicken (1.5-1.8kg)
- 1/4 cup /70g/2½ oz Massaman curry paste (Get my homemade recipe here)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 500 g baby new potatoes
- 250 ml /1 cup chicken stock
- 400 ml /14fl oz can coconut milk
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- fresh coriander (garnish)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/390ºF
- Give the garlic cloves a bash with a knife and then put them into the cavity of the chicken, along with half the lime.
- Tie the legs together with some string or cooking twine. Then place the chicken in a deep, large metal roasting tin.
- Mix 2 tsp of the curry paste with the oil and rub it all over the chicken.
- Place the potatoes around the chicken (I leave them whole), pour over the chicken stock and then loosely cover the tin with foil.
- Roast for 30 minutes, then remove the tin foil and cook for a further 40 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the tin and set it aside to rest.
- Put the tin with the potatoes in, on the hob and add in the remaining curry paste, the coconut milk, brown sugar and fish sauce.
- Stir well and cook for 5 minutes until it has thickened slightly.
- Serve the chicken with the massaman gravy, the potatoes and some plain boiled rice.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and the remaining lime.