This make Ahead Baked Monte Cristo Casserole is the perfect dish for brunch. You make it the night before and just pop it in the oven in the morning. No stress when you have guests staying over!!
This week on #SundaySupper we are talking about prepare ahead brunch dishes. Dishes that save your sanity on a busy morning! My contribution is this Make Ahead Baked Monte Cristo Casserole.
I don't know about you but breakfast is my least favourite meal of the day. I think it is because I am not a morning person. I need coffee, coffee and more coffee first thing. Then I can handle cooking the kids breakfast, but I still don't feel like eating. Which is why brunch is so perfect for me!!! (That and you can always justify a bucks fizz when you have brunch 😉 )
Today I am sharing a make ahead brunch dish that makes cooking for a crowd super easy. You make it up the night before, pop it in the fridge overnight and then in the morning bake it up into a golden gooey brunch perfection.
Monte Cristo sandwiches are fabulous. Ham and cheese sandwiches, coated in a thick custard and then cooked like french toast until the outside is golden and the inside is gooey and delicious. Finished with a sprinkling of icing sugar it is such a great sweet and savoury dish!
I like to add an extra couple of touches. I spread a thin layer of cherry jam and dijon mustard onto the bread and I sprinkle rosemary over the cheese layer.
They take it over the top and make it just a little bit special 😉
Not many photos today as I had an accident with this dish and dropped the whole casserole onto the floor. I only had enough ingredients to make a small second batch. I am so disappointed as when it comes out of the oven the large casserole dish is so beautiful and impressive. Still at least you can see the oozy gooey centre of this dish.
Come play on Pinterest.
Also find me on:
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Make Ahead Baked Monte Cristo Casserole
- ½ cup cherry jam
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 18 slices of white sandwich bread
- 1 lb sliced deli ham
- 2 cups shredded cheese (see notes)
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 6 large eggs
- ⅔ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Additional fresh rosemary
- In a small bowl, mix the jam and mustard together.
- Grease a large deep baking dish with the butter.
- Cut the crusts off the bread.
- Lay out 6 slices of bread in an even layer in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Spread them with half of the jam mixture.
- Lay half the ham over the top and then sprinkle over half of the cheese.
- Sprinkle over ¼ teaspoon of the fresh rosemary.
- Top with 6 slices of bread.
- Spread this bread with the remaining jam.
- Top with the remaining ham, the remaining cheese and rosemary.
- Finish with the last 6 slices of bread.
- In a large jug, whisk together the egg, milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread slices.
- Cover with cling wrap and leave in the fridge overnight (or for at least half an hour)
- Preheat oven to 190ºC/375ºF.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve sprinkles with powdered sugar and an additional sprinting of rosemary.
Thank you to Cindy from Cindys Recipes and Writings for hosting this weeks #SundaySupper.
Check out all the other Make Ahead Sunday Supper Brunch Recipes
- Apple and Bacon Cornmeal Scones by Carolines Cooking
- Lemon Crumb Cake by Life Tastes Good
- Nanas New York Crumb Cake by The Crumby Cupcake
- Overnight Nutty Coffee Cake by Family Around The Table
- Asparagus Quiche in Hash Brown Crust by Wimpy Vegetarian
- Baked Deviled Eggs with Toast Points by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Ham and Cheese Empanadas by Asian In America
- Make Ahead Baked Monte Cristo Cassarole by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Overnight Breakfast Casserole by Soulfully Made
- Sorrel, Chive & Duck Egg Frittata by Wholistic Woman
- Sous Vide Egg Bites by Crickets Confections
Sides and Veggies
- Asparagus Tart with Goat Cheese and Spring Greens by Monicas Table
- Baked Chili Maple Bacon by Food Lust People Love
- Blackberry Orange Oatmeal Bowls by Hezzi-Ds Books and Cooks
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with Lemon Shallot Vinaigrette by Helpful Homemade
- Vegetable Lasagna by Cindys Recipes and Writings
- Carrot Cake Pancakes by Brunch-n-Bites
- Citrus Crepes with White Chocolate Drizzle by Gourmet Everyday
- Flourless Chocolate Torte by Pies and Plots
- No Bake Peanut Butter Pie by The Freshman Cook
- Raspberry Mascarpone French Toast Casserole by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Strawberry Almond Crumble by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Its easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.