This easy Hummus Salad Dressing is a healthy way to add a creamy element to your next salad.
There is no need for mayonnaise or sour cream, the wonderful creaminess comes from hummus, making this suitable for those avoiding egg and vegans if you use maple syrup for sweetness. The dressing ingredients mirror the tastes in hummus, with sesame, lemon, and garlic all playing a part.
This homemade dressing makes the perfect creamy addition to any salad! And it takes just 2 minutes to make!
Let's face it, salad can be boring! I am not talking about the wonderful salads loaded with shrimp or chicken or cheese!!! But just a plain green salad, they can often be a sad addition to dinner. Adding something creamy and rich can turn drab to fab!
And that is where this creamy delicious hummus salad dressing comes in. It is thick and creamy, but can still drizzle, it is packed with flavor but is so simple to make AND it can second as a marinade or dipping sauce.
How to make a hummus salad dressing.
This dressing starts with…hummus - didn't see that coming did you? 😉
You can use store-bought hummus or make your own. Homemade hummus is wonderful, but it takes some time, so for mid-week dinners when I need to dress the salad quickly, I buy my favorite brand of grocery store hummus.
To the hummus we add:
- Dijon mustard
- Lemon juice and zest
- Honey (or maple syrup to make this vegan)
- Sesame oil
- Minced garlic
I find the easiest way to do this is to add everything to a mason jar or old jam jar. That way I can screw on the lid and give it a good shake. Plus it helps to store the dressing in afterward…less washing up. WINNER!
How to adapt the dressing to taste
For more tang - add extra lemon juice
For a thinner dressing - add more water
For a sweeter dressing - add extra honey
For a milder dressing - don't add garlic
Ways to use hummus salad dressing
As well as pouring this creamy dressing over salad leaves you can also use it:
- Marinade chicken breasts
- Drizzle over roasted sweet potatoes
- As a dipping sauce for vegetable batons
- Drizzle over seared chicken and rice
- Use as a sauce for cooked pasta
For more creamy salad dressing why not try:
- Creamy Gorgonzola Salad Dressing (The Pinning Mama)
- Thousand Island Dressing (The Suburban Soapbox)
- Buttermilk Ranch Dressing (Savory Simple)
- Dairy Free Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing (Low Carb Yum)
- Avocado Cilantro Dressing (The Belly Rules the Mind)
Pin this recipe for Hummus Salad Dressing. Pin it here.
Get the Recipe
Hummus Salad Dressing Recipe
- ¾ cup hummus
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon cold water
- ½ tablespoon honey/maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove
- salt and pepper
- Pour the hummus, mustard, water, honey and sesame oil into a measuring cup/jug or jar.
- Add in the zest of the lemon and 2 tablespoons of the juice.
- Crush in the garlic clove.
- Shake/stir until well mixed.
- Taste and add seasoning.
Nutrition is per serving