When you need to throw something vegetarian on the grill then veggie kebobs are always a hit. And these Greek Halloumi and vegetable kebabs are simple to make, quick to cook and easy to eat. And let’s face it everyone loves dinner that is served on a stick!
How to cook vegetable kebabs on the grill
The key to brightly coloured and delicious vegetable kebabs/kabobs is to marinade them first and then cook them quickly over a high heat.
This gives nice caramelised edges and lightly softens the outside of the veg, but still gives you that nice crisp vegetables with wonderful flavor.
How to marinade vegetable kebabs
To marinade these kebabs I mix together, olive oil, with fresh mint, chopped chilli and lemon zest. Some of this is used to marinade the cheese and vegetables. And then the rest is drizzled over the skewers at the end.
Can these halloumi and vegetable kebabs be made in advance?
The kebabs can be assembled in advance but I would leave cooking them until you are ready to serve. Otherwise the cheese can go rubbery and the vegetables loose their beautiful crisp cooked texture.
I like to chop all of the veg and cheese and then drizzle them with the marinade. I leave them covered like that in the fridge for a few hours and then assemble them just before guests arrive.
Once they are assembled they are perfect to keep covered in the fridge, ready to add to the grill/oven when you want them.
What vegetables can I use for veggie kabobs/kebabs?
I just love the mixture of bell peppers/capsicums, zucchini and tomato. But you can add anything on that you like:
- Bell Pepper/Capsicum
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Red Onion
- Eggplant Chunks
- Sweet Potato
- Cauliflower florets
- Summer Squash
Why not pin this recipe for Mini Greek Halloumi and Vegetable Kebabs. Pin it here
Mini Greek Halloumi and Vegetable Kebabs
You can change the measurement from US to metric at the bottom of this list
For the Kebabs
- 1 packet halloumi cheese (8.8oz/250g)
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 24 cherry tomatoes
For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- handful fresh mint
- 1 small red chilli
- 1 lemon
- Cut the halloumi into 24 cubes, then add to a large mixing bowl.
- Remove the stalk and seeds from the bell pepper then cut it into 24 chunks and add it to the bowl.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthways and then into quarters, Then cut each quarter into 6 chunks.
- Add the zucchini to the bowl.
- Place the tomatoes into the mixing bowl
To Make the Dressing
- Pull the mint leaves from the stem and stack them up together. Roll them into a cigar and then slice them finley to create thin mint strips.
- Pour the extra virgin olive oil into a small bowl. Add the mint to the olive oil.
- Carefully deseed and finely chop the chilli and add that to the olive oil mixture
- Finely grate the lemon zest onto the olive oil mixture.
- Season the olive oil with salt and pepper and then stir well to combine.
- Drizzle about half of the mixture over the vegetables and reserve the rest for later.
- leave the veg to marinate for 30 minutes and up to 12 hours
To assemble the kebabs
- Thread a halloumi cubes, cherry tomatoes, zucchini chunk and slice of bell pepper onto a wooden skewer.
- The veggie kebabs can now be cooked or refrigerated for up to 6 hours.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Grill for 3 minutes on each side until the cheese is golden and the veg has softened slightly.
To Prepare ahead:
- Chop the veg and cheese into cubes and marinade for up to 12 hours.
- The raw prepared skewers can be covered and refrigerated for up to 6 hours.
- Cook just before serving.
If you love food why not subscribe to my newsletter, I will drop you an email every now and then, just to say hi and send you a couple of recipes I think you might love, like these Mini Greek Halloumi and Vegetable Kebabs.
It isn’t everyday! I am not that organised. Usually it is once a week (ish). And as a thank you I will send you my soup cookbook FREE. Full of my fav soups!
Subscribe today 🙂