If you love the oozy, runny yolk of a fried egg then these easy Fried Egg Tacos are going to blow you away!
The tortillas are filled with avocado, tomato, lime juice, chili, and cilantro, before being topped with a fried egg. So simple to make plus they are healthy and they taste amazing!
Serve these as a breakfast taco or brunch taco or mix it up and serve fried egg tacos for an easy 10-minute dinner!
Well, tacos are amazing! So why not serve them for brekkie? These Fried Egg Tacos are perfect for a mid-morning breakfast or brunch. Oh! I just had the best idea! Serve these with some breakfast margaritas! I am so going to come up with a recipe for those…I’m thinking plenty of orange and lime. YUM!
Anyway back to the tacos! So avocado toast is the biggest rage ever! You cannot go out for brunch without seeing it in 5 different ways (Incidentally I love it with some smoked salmon and a runny egg – like this recipe for avo toast from 5 years ago…I was trend setting without knowing it!)
But if you can have avocado on toast for breakfast then an avocado taco isn’t a big leap! And everything is better with a fried egg and runny yolk.
Breakfast taco for dinner?
Just like the all-day breakfast, breakfast for dinner (brinner) is a big deal. So these fried egg tacos make perfect sense as a dinner item too. Plus they are ready in just 10 minutes so that makes them just about perfect for dinner when you are in a big old rush. And even if you aren’t in a rush, they are delicious so serve them for dinner…(with a dinner margarita!)
The Perfect Fried Egg
What does your perfect fried egg look like?
Me, I like firm white, with just the hint of crispness on the bottom, but with a runny yolk.
If you like your eggs a little more cooked then add 30 seconds and/or basting to the recipe below.
For the perfect fried egg, you want to use a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet or a good non-stick pan. Then you need a generous amount of oil, these are FRIED eggs 😉
Get the oil hot and then carefully crack in the egg. You can crack it into a ramekin or small bowl first to make it easier.
Let the egg cook for 30 seconds or so then carefully tip the pan towards you so the oil pools, use a small spoon to baste the egg white with the hot oil. This cooks the top quickly so you can still get the nice runny yolk. When basting the egg avoid getting oil on the yolk.
Once the egg is cooked to your liking, add it to the taco and eat immediately. Cold runny yolk isn’t enjoyable!
Toppings and Fixing for the Fried Egg Taco
I like to add:
- Avocado slices dressed with lime juice and salt
- Chopped tomato and red chili dressed with a little olive oil
- Plenty of fresh cilantro
- A good sprinkling of black pepper (or taco seasoning)
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
Additional things you can add:
- Charred Corn
- Queso Fresco
- Pickled Jalapeno
- Radish Slices
- Smoked Salmon
- Bacon Strips (for your non-vegetarian option)
Flour or Corn?
You can use either flour tortilla or corn tortilla here. The key is to get some smoky char on the edges as that really works well with the smooth avocado and rich egg.
To do this I place the tortilla over the open flame of my gas hob and then use tongs to flip it easily. It takes maybe 30-40 seconds to get a nice color. Plus the heat helps to make the tortilla pliable.
If you don’t have a gas hob then you can get the same charring by getting a heavy-based frying pan (cast iron is best) super hot, and heating the tortillas this way.
For these delicious fried egg tacos, I used my own homemade flour tortillas (Recipe here).
If you love tacos then check out these other delicious taco ideas:
- Smoky Blackened Salmon Soft Tacos
- Tuna and Chargrilled Pineapple Tacos
- Crispy Fish Tacos with Brown Sugar Onions
- Green Goddess Breakfast Tacos (Phenomenal Phoods)
- Chicken Tacos with Peach Salsa (The Kitchen Girl)
- Deconstructed Falafel Pita Tacos (A Simple Pantry)
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Pin this recipe for Fried Egg Tacos. Pin it here.
Fried Egg Taco Recipe
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 red chili – optional
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp canola/vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 4 tortilla
- fresh cilantro
- black pepper (or taco seasoning)
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the skin, then cut it into thin slices and arrange on a place.
- Squeeze the lime juice over the avocado and sprinkle with salt. Set to one side.
- Finely chop the tomato and red chili, then mix together in a bowl with the olive oil. Set to one side.
- Place each tortilla over your gas burner for 15-30 seconds, then use tongs to turn and cook the other side. The tacos should be charred and pliable.
- If you have an electric stovetop, place a frying pan over the heat for 5 minutes then char the tortillas in the pan.
- Cover the tortilla gently to keep them warm.
- Heat the canola oil in a large cast-iron skillet or non-stick frying pan. Once shimmering hot, crack in the eggs and cook for a minute without touching. Once the edges have started to solidify and crisp up. Carefully tip the pan to the side so the oil pools. Use a spoon to baste the oil over the eggs cooking the top of the white and yolk to your liking.
- To serve, arrange the sliced avocado on each tortilla, spoon over some of the tomato and chili mixture, then top with a fried egg, plenty of cilantro and cracked black pepper.