Crispy fish with a delicious tarragon mayonnaise and sweet charred lettuce, all served in a soft white bread roll. This fish burger is a flavour explosion and the perfect way to enjoy fish. And ready in under 15 minutes!
When I hear the words fish burgers, I think of two things. McDonalds Fillet 'O Fish and the Krabby Patties at the Crusty Crab in Sponge Bob Square Pants.
I don't know why this would be the case!
A) I very very rarely visit McDonalds (I am a Burger King girl! - well Hungry Jacks here in Australia) and when I do I don't order fillet 'O fish.
B) I really am not a sponge bob fan, and neither are my kids. They may have it on occasionally but that is usually when they have switched the TV on ready for a different show to start.
So yes, why fish burgers should conjure up those thoughts I have no idea, but it does.
HOWEVER!!! This burger is nothing like a maccers burger and it doesn't belong at the Crusty Crab. This burger is gourmet eating at it's best. Imagine a bistro pub, a nice glass of artisan pale ale and this burger. Maybe with the sea some where close by, or maybe in a bustling city in the hip part of town. This burger is perfect for that!
A flaky white fillet of fish, lightly coated in flour and then fried until crisp. Served in a soft roll with charred lettuce and a tarragon mayonnaise. So delicious! Oh and don't forget the charred lemon, sweet, sour and smoky all at once.
I make my tarragon mayonnaise from scratch, but I have included included directions for turning your jar of store bought mayo into this gourmet treat! But if you have ever made homemade mayo I do urge you to try it. It is so simple, I cross my heart promise!!! In fact not that long ago I made mayonnaise on facebook live, holding my camera phone in one had. Yup I made one handded mayonnaise in about a minute. Check it out the facebook video here!
And for a more relaxed and detailed version check out my full video in this mayonnaise post.
I love all burgers, but this fish burger holds a special place in my heart, because it is oh so pretty, oh so delicious and I think a little bit different!
Can't wait for you to try it!!!
If you love this recipe for Fish Burger with Charred Lettuce and Tarragon Mayo why not pin it for later.
Come play on Pinterest.
Also find me on:
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Get the Recipe
Fish Burger with Charred Lettuce and Tarragon Mayo
- 3 tablespoon plain flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 4 skinless fillets white fish (~125g/4.5oz each) See notes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 large lettuce leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 soft bread rolls sliced open
- 2 lemons cut in half
For the mayo
- 250 ml vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon fresh tarragon
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 egg
For an Easy cheats tarragon mayo
- 1 cup store bought mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Start by making the mayonnaise
- Pour the oil into a jug that will fit the heat of your stick blender.
- Add in the Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt, pepper and tarragon.
- Then careful crack the egg in, be careful not to break the yolk.
- Place the head of the stick blender over the yolk and then turn the speed to high and slowly bring the blender up through the oil.
- You should have a glossy tarragon mayonnaise within seconds.
For Cheats Tarragon Mayo
- Mix the tarragon together with the mayo and add a spritz of lemon juice
To make the burger
- Mix the flour, salt and white pepper together in a shallow bowl.
- Add each fillet of fish and give it a light dusting of the flour.
- Place a large heavy based fry pan over a medium heat and add the olive oil. Once it is hot, add the fish and cook for 2 minutes on each side.
- Turn the heat on the fry pan up to high and once it is smoking hot add the lettuce leaves and the extra vigin olive oil.
- Allow the lettuce to char and spit. Once it has some colour and is glossy from the oil, remove from the pan and sit it on top of the fish.
- Add the lemon to the pan, cut side down and turn off the heat. Levae the lemons to char whilst you assemble the burger.
- Add a good layer of the mayo to the bottom of each bun. Add a fillet of fish and two charred lettuce leaves.
- Remove the charred lemon wedges from the pan and serve immediately.
Nutrition is per serving
If you love food why not subscribe to my newsletter, I will drop you an email every now and then, just to say hi and send you a couple of recipes think you might love, like these Fish Burger with Charred Lettuce and Tarragon Mayo.
It isn't everyday! I am not that organised. Usually it is once a week (ish). And as a thank you I will send you my soup cookbook FREE. Full of my fav soups!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.