This is a super quick recipe, it is a 5 minute dash around the supermarket so you can have dinner on the table in under 10 minutes. And we are not talking microwave meals here! A filling chicken tortellini soup that is as easy as heating up a can of soup. But sooooo much better!
The boys and I have been down in Albany this week. We have had a little motel room with a kettle and microwave. I used the microwave for hot chocolate...yup, I have had 3 full days off cooking. And I have to admit, I kind of liked it. And I think I finally understand people who really don't enjoy cooking dinner, the people who will grab a take away on the way home and the people who cook because they have to feed their family rather than because they enjoy being in the kitchen. I get it!!!!!
I love cooking, I love pottering away in the kitchen, but it was a wonderfully relaxing feeling to just get back to the motel with a take away, or to just sit down in a restaurant for brunch. I (and the boys) totally enjoyed the extra hour I gained in the day! Over the three days we went for a walk around the wind farm, spent extra time in the swimming pool and explored the National ANZAC Museum. All because someone else was preparing and cooking dinner. All we had to do was eat. (Spoiler - 3 cute pictures of my little munchkins coming up!!!)
So I do now understand people when they say they don't want to cook. I get it, although I also loved getting home (After a very very very long journey - more on that next time!!!) and whipping up some cheese on toast with jalapeño and sweetcorn -YUM!
But it really was an eye-opener, I don't know what was different this time, as I have been away and not cooked loads of times. I don't know if it was the fact that we got so much done in 3 days, or the fact that because I was away on my own, by 7:30 when the boys were asleep I had a whole evening to just sit and relax (aka lose hours on pinterest). Who knows! But it did make me think about easy family meals, meals that make getting dinner on the table a little easier.
I was planning to share my Sticky Coconut Chicken with you today. That is pretty simple as it all cooks in one pan. But it does need overnight marinating. And as a dear friend said to me "When I see a recipe and it says marinate for 6-12 hours I think s*d that and reach for the instant noodles"
So I thought today I would share a recipe that is almost as quick as instant noodles: this takes 5 minutes to make with ingredients you can buy in a 5 minute shop.
This is Chicken Tortellini Soup. Using shop bought rotisserie chicken (let them do the cooking!!!) and fresh pasta. p.s If you totally don't want to cook, grab the chicken, some fresh bread, a few cherry tomatoes and call dinner done. Nothing wrong with warm chicken and crispy bread! But hey...back to the soup.
I have included a method for using chicken breasts as I know not everyone can get rotisserie chicken. But if you can, then give yourself a break and buy it cooked 🙂 If you are in in Australia I would go for the free-range brand from Woollies.
The choice of tortellini is up to you. I like to buy the chicken and ricotta ones, but the roasted veg ones work well too. Don't worry too much just grab a bag- it will be great.
Don't forget the lemon, it lifts everything and the parmesan is more than just a garnish it is essential to add depth to the soup.
Grate it on and enjoy x
If you love this recipe for Chicken Tortellini Soup why not subscribe to my newsletter, then you can have delicious recipes straight into your inbox. What is more, as a thank you I will send you my soup ebook for FREE!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Also find me on:
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
6 ingredient Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 4 cups chicken stock (from a cube, carton or concentrate is fine)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 rotisserie chicken - or 2 raw chicken breasts - See additional notes
- 1 bag tortellini approx 375g/13oz - the packets that suggest they serve 2
- 1 small bag spinach (90g/3oz)
- 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the chicken stock into a large pan, lightly squash the garlic with the back of a knife (but keep it whole), add this to the stock and bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile strip the meat from the breasts of the rotisserie chicken (Wrap the rest in clingfilm - see note 1 )
- Once the stock is boiling, add the tortellini and cook for 1 minutes less than the packet suggests.
- After this time add the chicken and cook for a further minute.
- Divide the spinach between bowls and spritz each bowl with some lemon juice.
- Remove the whole garlic cloves from the broth and then spoon it over the spinach.
- Garnish, generously with parmesan. (See note 2 for alternative toppings)
- If you want to cook the chicken yourself, bring the stock to the boil then lower in the chicken breasts and turn down to a low simmer. Poach gently for 10 minutes.
- Additional toppings:
- Add in some chopped red chillies
- Mushrooms would be good in the bowl with the spinach
- To bulk out the meal you could add a tin of drained cannelloni beans.
- Prawns work fabulously instead of chicken. Add them in with the pasta.
- Or make this vegetarian, remove the chicken and add in some chopped capsicum and frozen sweetcorn. (use veg stock)