This winter slaw, is packed with crisp crunchy veg and makes the perfect holiday salad. The sweet maple dressing and creamy pecans make it extra special and a delicious and fresh side for the festive season.
Isn't this Winter Slaw with Pecans and Maple Dressing beautiful!
The two colours of cabbage add a bulk of colour , whilst the sweet carrot and red bell pepper add an extra pop of colour. Topped with a bright sprinkle of parsley this winter slaw is stunning to look at, and just as stunning to eat.
The colours are bright, the flavours pack a punch and on a buffet table a big bowl of winter slaw is such a delicious, fresh and crunchy side, perfect with a glazed ham or left over turkey.
Go on, add this winter slaw to your holiday salad list. I promise it will be a hit!
I have called this a winter slaw as I think it works so well at Christmas..... but here in Australia we are heading into summer. So I guess perhaps I should just have called it slaw? 😉
But never one to hold with convention I am calling it a winter slaw and serving it for our summer Christmas eve buffet. To be honest whenever this winter slaw is served it is always demolished!
I think the real winning element is the maple dressing that replaces the more standard mayonnaise based dressing. The light dressing allows the colours of the slaw to shine through and the sweetness of the maple is perfect against the bite of the cabbage and the creamy nuttiness of the pecans.
Sometimes I add a handful of pomegranate seeds, to make it even more festive and add a delicious sweet sour note to the slaw. But when I made this yesterday I was packing for a weeks holiday with my Mother-in-Law and didn't have any pomegranates in the house. Whilst I noticed they weren't there I didn't miss them, so if pomegranates aren't in season then do not worry. Miss them out and don't tell anyone. They won't notice 😉
If you love this recipe for Winter Slaw with Pecans and Maple Dressing why not pin it for later.
Come play on Pinterest!
I share a lot of food!!!! And quite a lot of other stuff! Come find me today x
Also find me on:
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter.
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Winter Slaw with Pecans and Maple Dressing
For the winter slaw
- ¼ head red cabbage
- ¼ head white cabbage
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 scallions/spring onions
- 2 carrots
- ⅓ cup pecans
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Thinly slice the red and white cabbage.
- Remove the core of the bell pepper and thinly slice.
- Cut the stalks from the scallions and then cut them into thin slices.
- Peel the carrot and use a potato peeler to cut thin strips. Cut these strips into matchstick sized pieces. (or if you have it use a julienne peeler/chopper.
- Combine all the ingredients into a large bowl and set aside in the fridge until you want to serve.
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients together in a small jar and shake well to combine.
- To serve, dress the winter slaw and sprinkle over the pecans.
For more delish salad ideas check out the rest of the #SundaySupper bloggers.
Holiday Salad Recipes #SundaySupper
Festive Holiday Salad Recipes
- Best Ambrosia Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cranberry Fluff Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Cranberry Walnut Potato Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Easy Green Bean Salad by Cricket’s Confections
- Layered Christmas Gelatin Salad by Positively Stacey
- Orange Fennel Salad by Pies and Plots
- Pecan Crusted Chicken Salad by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Bountiful Holiday Salad Recipes
- Roasted Artichoke Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Roasted Vegetable & Goat Cheese Salad by My Life Cookbook
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Creamy Balsamic Dressing by Bites of Wellness
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Drunken Cranberries by Our Good Life
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Bacon Dressing by Life Tastes Good
- Sweet Potato French Bean Lentil Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Winter Beet Salad with Goat’s Cheese Dressing by Caroline’s Cooking
- Winter Fruit Salad by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Winter Slaw with Pecans and Maple Dressing by Sprinkles and Sprouts
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
I seem to forget about slaws when the weather turns, so I'm loving your gorgeous winter version!
Claire McEwen says
I know exactly what you mean!! And I used to be the same.
But I think because I am now living down under, salads always seem to be in my menu plan. During the summer here, I crave them as there is no reason to put the oven on, and then in the midst of our winters my pinterest feed fills up with summer salads from my favourite northern hemisphere bloggers. So I get pulled into making them mid winter too.
I love slaw and salad so win win for me 😀
Laura Dembowski says
I would devour this entire salad in one sitting. It is so up my alley.
Claire McEwen says
Thank you Laura.
I ate a VERY big bowl when I made this to take photos 😉
And I know on Christmas eve it will be piled up on my plate again!