What if I told you you could have a succulent, juicy whole chicken cooked in 30 minutes!!! Yes, that is right a whole chicken in 30 minutes! Delicious pressure cooker chicken. Doesn’t sound possible does it but I promise this is sooooo good! And perfect for shredded chicken for tonight’s salad, left overs for the lunch boxes and if I feel up to cooking, (we are meant to reach 38ºC (100ºF) tomorrow!!!) some extra chicken for a cajun pasta dish.
It has been so hot here, I am melting!!! Then I went shopping on Monday and whole chickens were on special with 40% off! I love roast chicken and my favourite method is my super quick super hot oven method. (You can get the recipe here) but there is no way I am turning the oven on!!!! So I am going for one of my other favourite ways of cooking a whole chicken. The pressure cooker. And my succulent pressure cooker chicken.
I love my pressure cooker! I can cook risotto in 8 minutes, make a ‘all day slow cook taste’ bolognaise taste in 30 minutes and I can cook a whole chicken in about 30 minutes! You don’t get the amazing crispy skin that the oven gives you. But if you are going to shred the meat for tacos/sandwiches/wraps/salads then the lack of skin doesn’t really matter. I do have a great trick for the chicken skin, but it uses the oven so it will have to wait until my kitchen is a bit cool, but watch this space. I promise it is worth the wait! (If you loved my crispy crackling bites) then you are going to LOVE it. And like they say somethings are worth the wait 😉
Anyway back to this chicken, it is super simple, succulent and most importantly quick! Don’t be scared of the pressure cooker, the modern day ones are so safe. Mine pressure cooker has 7 different features to stop it exploding!
Succulent, juicy whole chicken in under 30 minutes!!!! DELISH!!! One word of warning, whilst you are shredding the chicken try not to eat too much of the meat 😳
If you love this recipe for Succulent Pressure Cooker Chicken why not subscribe to my newsletter, then you can have delicious recipes straight into your inbox. What is more, as a thank you I will send you my soup ebook for FREE!
Subscribe today 🙂
Also find me on:
Let’s share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
- 250 ml /1 cup chicken stock
- 2-2.5 kg /4.5-5.5 lb. whole chicken
- black pepper
- 1/2 onion
- small handful parsley
- Pour the chicken stock into your pressure cooker and bring to a simmer.
- Remove your chicken from the packaging and sprinkle the outside and inside generously with salt and pepper.
- Push the onion and parsley inside the chicken and then add it to the pressure cooker. (I use the special rack that came with mine, because it makes it easier to remove the chicken later)
- Place the lid on your pressure cooker, lock it and place the pan over a high heat. Bring it up to pressure.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook the chicken for 7 minutes per 500g/1 lb. (So my 2kg chicken will need 28 minutes)
- Once the cook time is up, remove the pressure cooker from the heat and let the pressure reduce naturally.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and shred.
- Reserve the liquid. If you are freezing any of your shredded chicken, add a tablespoon of the cooking liquid to ensure the chicken remains moist as it defrosts.
If you have an electric pressure cooker then this recipe might take a little longer as they tend to work at a slightly lower pressure. I would suggest 8 minutes per 500g/1 lb. and then add the extra 5 minutes.