Sweet, spicy chicken with the hint of coconut and the simplicity of cooking it all in one pan on the hob. This Sticky coconut chicken is a delicious dinner, perfect for all the family. And it looks beautiful so you can happily serve it to guests.
I am not sure I really need to say anything else 😉 I mean what else needs to be said. Juicy chicken, great sauce and all cooked in one pot.
So with nothing else to say about the chicken how about a quick story.
How about the tales from a car journey. A journey in a little white car. A journey through winding roads, in almost total darkness, with no idea where you are going and no map........Sounds dramatic doesn't it.....Did I go too far? 😉
To be honest it was really just the drive home from Albany. A drive home that should take 4 hours and 20 minutes. But unfortunately due to road works and a few dodgy internet signals. Took nearly 7!
On the drive down to Albany (read about our trip here) I hit road works, now I don't actually mind road works. Unless I am late for something, if a drive takes me a little longer than it should then I don't really mind. I love to drive. But these road works were gravel road diversions, very slow and very bumpy. Again not really a problem on the way down there.
But on the way back we left after dinner, I had the boys in their PJ's and wanted them to sleep. Bumpy roads are not conducive to that! So I took the alternate route, it's not a route I know, so I punched it into the Maps app on my phone and set off. Funny thing about rural Australia...not much internet. Still not a problem as the Maps app is pretty clever, unless.....there is yet another diversion, so you start down that route, Maps starts to re-route, then you hit an internet black spot and it stops mid-re-route. You are then in the middle of no-where in the dark with no idea where to go! So I continued on the same road, which was windy, slow and very dark! Eventually I got some internet, the Maps app found it's signal, found a route and we were good again. Sort of! I arrived on the original Collie road, about 50 clicks from where I had started and still had to do the gravel road diversion!!!
Pretty exhausted when I got home! But the boys did sleep through most of it!
See nothing to do with chicken, but hey aren't you glad you weren't me last weekend 😉
So back to this 'cook it all in one pan' chicken. Winner winner chicken dinner!!! And so delicious! Get some marinating, thank yourself lucky that you don't have to do a 7 hour car drive in the dark (In a teeny tiny Barina Spark! - Love my little car but she is small!) and feed your family something amazing.
Still we had a great time down in Albany 🙂
If you love this recipe for Sticky Coconut Chicken why not subscribe to my newsletter, then you can have delicious recipes straight into your inbox. What is more, as a thank you I will send you my soup ebook for FREE!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Also find me on:
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Get the Recipe
Sticky Coconut Chicken
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 ¼ cups coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes (or more if you like it super spicy)
- 1 inch chunk fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 7 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 7 tablespoon water
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- Place the chicken thighs in a large ziplock bag.
- Add the coconut milk, add the chilli flakes then grate in the ginger and garlic.
- Seal the bag and then give everything a good squish to ensure everything is well mixed and coated.
- Leave to marinate for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Mix the rice wine vinegar, water, sugar and soy sauce together and set aside.
- Place a large non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Once it is super hot add the oil and then arrange the chicken thighs in a single layer with the smooth side down. (discard the marinade)
- Reduce the heat to medium/low and cook the chicken for 10 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over and pour over the vinegar mixture.
- Allow the chicken to cook for a further 10 minutes, then carefully use a spoon to glaze the chicken.
- Cook for another 5-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the glaze is thicker and sticky.
- Serve with rice and some green veg.
Nutrition is per serving