Crisp, smokey, with a touch of citrus, these smokey Spanish potatoes are a great side dish or perfect for serving as an appetiser with drinks. As you spear your fork into the crisp shell you can just imagine sitting watching the sun set as you enjoy a cold beer in San Sebastián. Which is where I first enjoyed them.
I was on a camping holiday in southern France and northern Spain. A complete foodie adventure that involved plenty of little restaurants, local produce, carafes of wine and bottles of cruzcampo. I have so many amazing memories from those 3 weeks! It would be impossible to pick the best meal. Every time I sat down for a meal it was the best thing I had eaten. Everything was so fresh, delicious and yummy! I grilled waiters for their favourite dishes, tried local specialities and ate plenty of seafood.
These smokey Spanish potatoes were one of those recommendations; as we tucked into some fresh anchovies marinated in olive oil and fresh herbs our waitress brought a second beer and I asked what else we should order. Her English was far better than my Spanish and we quickly established that I should order house potatoes, chorizo in red wine and some chargrilled octopus. So I did 😉
It was all sublime! And I will be sharing the simple chorizo dish with you soon. But today I am giving you one of the most simple yet complex and delicious potato dishes. Honestly, crispy hot potatoes with a cold beer on a warm summers evening, I am not sure there is anything better.
The potatoes are roasted in a mixture of herbs and spices until they are soft inside and crisp and slight charred on the outside. Then as you remove them from the oven you give them a spritz with lemon juice and sprinkle them with fresh parsley. Tip them onto a platter, grab the bottle opener and enjoy. Or serve them up along side some grilled meat or fish.
If you love potatoes as much as I do then check out my Potato Recipe Collection.
If you love this recipe why not sign up for my FREE newsletter, packed with recipes, tips and tricks.
Also find me on:
Let’s share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 400 g starchy potatoes - see notes
- 1/2 fresh lemon
- fresh parsley (for garnish)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/fan forced 180ºC/gas 5.
- Measure the tomato paste, olive oil, smoked paprika, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper into a large bowl. Mix well until combined.
- Cut the potatoes into small chunks and tip them into a bowl.
- Use a spoon or your hand to mix the potatoes around until they are well coated in the spice mix.
- Tip the potatoes into a large roasting tin and cook in the middle of the oven for 40-50 minutes, until cooked through and crispy. (the exact time will depend how small you cut your chunks)
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and squeeze over the lemon juice.
- Serve sprinkled with fresh parsley.
You want a starchy potato. I tend to buy the large ones that are designed for roasting as they have a nice skin that crisps well and and once cooked have a fluffy inside. Sebago, Russet and Maris Piper will all work