Super juicy, super tasty and super easy. This slow cooker pickled pork is super. Hahaha Sorry I am so cheesy!!! 😉
I think I must have walked under a ladder, or stepped on a crack in the pavement, as I seemed to have had some bad luck. Well either bad luck or I have been jinxing myself! It started when I scared away spring, and it hasn't got much better. I made the fatal error of mentioning to a friend that Mr 4 has been getting up at a reasonable hour. Hmmm guess who went back to waking up at 5am?!?! I also commented that I am a great sleeper, I woke up 3 times last night!!!! Not impressed with myself!!!
Which is why I probably shouldn't tell you that it has been a beautiful day here today. I am sat on the veranda, the sky is blue, the sun is out, the grass is looking a vibrant green and there are little yellow flowers everywhere. I know they are weeds but they are so beautiful that I can still enjoy them. I have a cup of coffee and am watching the boys run about pretending to be wizards. At least I think they are wizards. They both have sticks and are pointing them whilst shouting made up words at each other. So either they are wizards or they have gone crazy 😉
Perhaps I should try reversed psychology on my jinxing power? Something like "No lotto win for me this week" Do you think it will work? If it does I'll be back to share the champers 😉
Until then I will enjoy my Rickety Cottage, the chance to sit and look out at the garden and feel blessed to live in such a gorgeous place. Yes there is a lot to do and we aren't
always ever on top of it, but it is still wonderful to be able to ssit out on the veranda and look out at this.
I feel so grateful, so lucky and happy sat here. Could do with another cup of coffee but other than that this is pretty perfect.
What have you been up to today? Whatever it is I hope you have had a great day.
Part of my wonderful relaxed feeling is that I know dinner is in the slow cooker and I can just plate it up. I have cheated and bought a loaf of bread from Bakers Delight, but that is a price I am willing to pay to sit out here watching the boys play whilst I drink my coffee.
This pickled pork is so easy, it is hardly a recipe, in fact it is almost embarrassingly easy that I feel I shouldn't blog it. But this is what we are having for dinner and it is so tasty that it is rude not to share 😉
This cooking method gives you such tender falling apart meat that no effort is required when shredding it. It falls into tasty delicious succulent strands. It is wonderful served cold with pickles and bread. I like it with mustard or a sweet spicy chutney (will post you the recipe tomorrow). It is also great served hot with mashed potato and an onion sauce. Any leftovers works well stuffed into crisp bread rolls with coleslaw, or mixed with bbq sauce and served in wraps.
If you love this recipe why not sign up for my FREE weekly newsletter, packed with recipes, tips and tricks.
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Get the Recipe
Shredded Pickled Pork
- 1 pickled pork joint - about 1.5 kg. With this cooking method any size will work, but if you go over 2kg I would add an extra onion and double the apple juice
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 2 sticks celery
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 250 ml apple juice
- boiling water
- Roughly chop the onion, carrot and celery. I don't peel any of them, I just give them a bit of a scrub and then chop them skin and all.
- Place the veg into the slow cooker (or large casserole pan)
- Place the pork on top of the veg.
- Add the peppercorns and bay leaves.
- Pour over the apple juice and then top up with boiling water until the pork is covered.
- Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8. (If cooking on the stove cook for 3 hours on a very low simmer)
- Leave the pork to cool in the cooking liquor for at least an hour.
- Remove the pork and allow the liquid to drain off. The pork should be falling apart tender so to drain it I place the falling apart joint into a colander and leave it in the sink for 5 minutes.
- Shred the meat and serve.
Nutrition is per serving