It is Friday night and that means two things. Pizza night and movie night.
The boys are in the bath and I have just whipped up a treat for movie night. Salted Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn. This stuff is addictive, it is sweet and cinnamony (which is so a word!!!!) and then has a little bite of salt. Think salted caramel hint of salt.
When I make popcorn I follow a very scientific method 😉 no matter what flavour I add, I start with the same method for popcorn making. It my tried and trusted method and I have found that with this method you get no burnt bits and all (or very nearly all) kernels pop.
I wondered whether I should call this Salted Cinnamon Sugar Shaky Popcorn as ever other instructions seems to be shake this or shake that! There is a lot of shaking and this isn't a quiet process, definitely not one to do once the movie has started!
So snuggle down on the sofa, grab a blanket (it is getting cold here) hog the TV remote and enjoy your Friday night treat. You might want to share a small amount as this does make a good portion of popcorn. This amount is enough for the four of us. Although to be honest it would easily serve 6-8 😳
UPDATE: Stew was late home last night so I snuggled up once the boys were in bed and enjoyed another pot of this. I was very kind and got his pot ready, but sadly I got the munchies and ate his pot too 😉
If you love this recipe why not sign up for my FREE weekly newsletter, packed with recipes, tips and tricks.
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Salted Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn
- ½ stick salted butter
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ⅔ cup popcorn kernels
- lace the butter in a small bowl or jug and microwave for 20 seconds until melted.
- Measure the sugar, cinnamon and salt into a large tupperware, (I use a 3.2 litre box).
- Clip on the lid and give it a good shake to combine everything, set it aside.
- Pour the oil into your biggest stock pan, make sure you have a lid for it.
- Turn the heat to medium and add 2 popcorn kernels to the oil.
- Heat the oil until the two kernels pop.
- Remove the popcorn and then pour the remaining kernels into the oil.
- Place on the lid, give the pan a shake to evenly distribute the kernels, then remove the pan from the heat and count to 30.
- Return the pan to the heat and heat on medium/high with the lid on.
- Once the popcorn starts to pop, give the pan a good shake and slide it backwards and forwards across the hob.
- Occasionally pull the lid slightly off to allow the steam to escape. Don't move it off too far or you will find your get a popcorn shower!
- Keep shaking and sliding until the popping slows to a couple of pops a second, then lift the pan above the heat and shake it again above the heat for 10 seconds.
- Turn off the heat and pour in the melted butter.
- Again give the pan a good shake.
- Tip the popped corn into your tupperware, clip on the lid and shake to coat all the popcorn in the delicious salty sweet goodness.