It is Friday night and that means two things. Pizza night and movie night.
The boys are in the bath and I have just whipped up a treat for movie night. Salted Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn. This stuff is addictive, it is sweet and cinnamony (which is so a word!!!!) and then has a little bite of salt. Think salted caramel hint of salt.
When I make popcorn I follow a very scientific method 😉 no matter what flavour I add, I start with the same method for popcorn making. It my tried and trusted method and I have found that with this method you get no burnt bits and all (or very nearly all) kernels pop.
I wondered whether I should call this Salted Cinnamon Sugar Shaky Popcorn as ever other instructions seems to be shake this or shake that! There is a lot of shaking and this isn't a quiet process, definitely not one to do once the movie has started!
So snuggle down on the sofa, grab a blanket (it is getting cold here) hog the TV remote and enjoy your Friday night treat. You might want to share a small amount as this does make a good portion of popcorn. This amount is enough for the four of us. Although to be honest it would easily serve 6-8 😳
UPDATE: Stew was late home last night so I snuggled up once the boys were in bed and enjoyed another pot of this. I was very kind and got his pot ready, but sadly I got the munchies and ate his pot too 😉
If you love this recipe why not sign up for my FREE weekly newsletter, packed with recipes, tips and tricks.
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Also find me on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Salted Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn
- ½ stick salted butter
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ⅔ cup popcorn kernels
- lace the butter in a small bowl or jug and microwave for 20 seconds until melted.
- Measure the sugar, cinnamon and salt into a large tupperware, (I use a 3.2 litre box).
- Clip on the lid and give it a good shake to combine everything, set it aside.
- Pour the oil into your biggest stock pan, make sure you have a lid for it.
- Turn the heat to medium and add 2 popcorn kernels to the oil.
- Heat the oil until the two kernels pop.
- Remove the popcorn and then pour the remaining kernels into the oil.
- Place on the lid, give the pan a shake to evenly distribute the kernels, then remove the pan from the heat and count to 30.
- Return the pan to the heat and heat on medium/high with the lid on.
- Once the popcorn starts to pop, give the pan a good shake and slide it backwards and forwards across the hob.
- Occasionally pull the lid slightly off to allow the steam to escape. Don't move it off too far or you will find your get a popcorn shower!
- Keep shaking and sliding until the popping slows to a couple of pops a second, then lift the pan above the heat and shake it again above the heat for 10 seconds.
- Turn off the heat and pour in the melted butter.
- Again give the pan a good shake.
- Tip the popped corn into your tupperware, clip on the lid and shake to coat all the popcorn in the delicious salty sweet goodness.
Lynn | The Road to Honey says
Friday pizza night is always the best. But you made it even better by adding in this salted cinnamon sugar popcorn. Popcorn is always a nice healthy snack. I love how you dressed it up with the cinnamon sugar making it the ever appropriate ending to a somewhat unhealthy pizza night.
Claire McEwen says
We love pizza night too. I try and make it slightly healthier by using my homemade roasted vegetable tomato sauce and making our own pizza dough, although I am not sure that balances the cheese 😉