Fluffy cubes of potatoes, lightly roasted and served with a sweet sour balsamic dip. These are like a bag of salt and vinegar crisps (chips) but in potato form. But crisps are potato so I guess I mean cubed potato form. Oh you know what I mean....let's just look another photo of these tasty potatoes!!!!
Today whilst I was cooking these potatoes I starting singing "potato, potahto", much to the kids amusement. Which in turn made me think about the movie 'Sleepless in Seatle'. But on further investigation I found that actually I was thinking of a scene from "When Harry meet Sally".....which all goes to show that if you are in a pub quiz with me, when it comes to movie soundtrack questions you should probably question anything I say 😉 At least I had the right actress!!!!!!
And for those of you who have no idea what I am talking about, I am talking.......
You like potato and I like potahto
You like tomato and I like tomahto
Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto.
Let's call the whole thing off.
And none of that has anything to do with these potatoes!
These potatoes are a mix between a bag chips from the chippy and the Sunday soft roasted potato. They are lightly crispy and have the wonderful tang of vinegar and a sprinkles of sea salt. Delicious with the rosemary balsamic dip. Or eat them with ketchup, which is more often than not how my boys enjoy them. I give them homemade ketchup and I get all the balsamic dip 🙂
The potatoes are boiling in a salted vinegar water, allowing them to absorb the flavour, then finished in the oven to give them colour and a bit of crunch.
If you love this recipe why not subscribe to my newsletter, then you can have delicious recipes straight into your inbox. What is more as a thank you I will send you my soup ebook for FREE!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Also find me on:
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Salt and Vinegar Potato Cubes with Rosemary Balsamic Dip
- 1 kg potatoes
- 2 tsp salt
- 250 ml vinegar
- 2 tbsp oil
- 125 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
- ¼ tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- sea salt to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 230ºC/Gas mark 8.
- Place a large roasting tin into the oven to get really hot.
- Chop the potatoes into small 1.5cm cubes.
- Add these to a large saucepan, sprinkle over the salt and pour over the vinegar.
- Top up with boiling water until the potatoes are covered by about 2cc and bring to the boil.
- Cook for the potatoes for 10 minutes. Whilst the potatoes are cooking add the oil to the roasting tin and place it back in the oven to get hot.
- Drain the potatoes and spread them out on some kitchen paper in a single layer to steam dry
- Tip the dried potatoes into the hot oil and give them a good shake to coat them.
- Roast on the top shelf of the oven for 35 minutes until crisp.
- Whilst the potatoes are roasting make the balsamic syrup.
- Tip the balsamic vinegar, sugar and rosemary into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer, cook slowly until the vinegar has reduced by about half and is thick and glossy.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve to remove the rosemary (or just tip the pan really carefully, holding the rosemary back with a spoon!)
- Serve the potatoes immediately sprinkled with some extra sea salt.