Juicy turkey without the dramas of a whole roast!!!! This Rolled Turkey Thigh Roast is the perfect last minute and stress free way to have a turkey dinner this Christmas!!!!
Now I know this isn't the glorious big bird that adorns the covers of Christmas magazines and cookbooks. I am sure there are some people who would turn their noses up at this. To them I say "Pah!"
Food wastage is a big issue and Christmastime is the worst time of year for excess. So often we end up with more food than we know what to do with, and even with the best leftover recipes in the world, you can't always eat the food before it spoils. That is just wrong. So if there are less of you to dinner this year, better to make something smaller and enjoy every single piece of it!
I bought my rolled turkey from the butchers, but I have tried this recipe with the ones you can buy in the supermarket (and even the frozen ones that come all nicely foiled packed. (Not the formed turkey rolls!!!! Just the jointed and frozen turkey joints) It works with all of them. The only thing to note is whether your turkey has been marinated/brined already. It doesn't matter if it has, you will just want to skip the salt step. The one from my butcher had been marinated so I didn't add any salt.
In my Last Minute Stress Free Christmas Menu, I say you could buy this all in the supermarket, and you can, so don't worry about getting to a butchers, the supermarket brands hold their own really well. Our butchers is right next to the supermarket and I am shopping there a lot at the moment as they have a giveaway for a outdoor rotisserie BBQ; I was hoping to win that and put it under the tree for Stew. (Got to love a free present!)
I think the draw was over the weekend and I haven't had a call so I am guessing I didn't win...but hey we have had some delicious food 😉
To see my Last Minute Stress Free Christmas Menu, pop on over and check out this post here.
Have a great Christmas
Come play on Pinterest.
Also find me on:
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Rolled Turkey Thigh Roast with Bacon Crust
- 2 kg rolled turkey thigh roast. (for bigger or smaller I have added cooking alterations to the notes)
- 8 rashers of bacon
- salt and pepper
- knob of butter
- boiling water
- Take the joint out of the fridge 20 minutes before you want to start cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan assisted 200°C/430ºF.
- Put the turkey joint, skin-side up, into a roasting tin and pour 2 cups of boiling water around it
- Spread the butter over the skin and season (Unless you have a brined/marinated roll).
- Cover the roasting tin with foil, ensuring it is well sealed around the edges.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the temperate by 20º (so down to 200°C/fan assisted 180°C/ 410ºF) and roast for a further 50 minutes.
- After this time remove the foil, drape the bacon over the roast and cook for a further 20 minutes.