Soft, delicious and perfect. There really is no other way to describe these dinner rolls. I have shared these with quite a few friends over the years and each and every one has always asked for the recipe! They really are that good, even none bakers want to make them!
Honestly, there are (in the words of my friends “So soft!” “So rich yet so light and fluffy.” “Better than anything you get in a restaurant” “These are the best thing you have cooked me” (somehow I am not sure how to take that one!!! Although Sally swears it was a compliment 😉 )
And I have definitely had more than one friend say “Perhaps I’ll just have one more.”. These always disappear! I am not sure how well these last, I never have any left longer than 24 hours!!! If you are feeding a crowd, instead of making double the recipe I would make the recipe twice. Just because you don’t want to over load you stand mixer. I am sure a double batch would be okay in there, but I live in fear of the day my KitchenAid breaks!!! I would be in tears! So I follow the instructions to the letter. Nothing goes in the dishwasher and I never mix bread on a speed higher than 2. Like I say it would be a very sad day in my kitchen!
This recipe is pretty special to me as it is one of the first recipes I ever made in a commercial kitchen. I got to use a massive stand mixer, it held so much flour! and had a dough hook as big as my arm!!! I loved it! Well at first! I made over 100 rolls that day! By the last batch (or 4) I was a bit over forming rolls 😉
Obviously that was on a mass scale, but the method still works well in a home kitchen. It is a slightly different bread recipe to the more traditional dinner rolls, but it makes fabulously soft and light dinner rolls. Soft, delicious, in fact you can happily eat them on their own with a little butter and nothing else! But they are perfect as slider rolls too!!!!
Just look at how soft they are!!! It is the combination of egg and butter that gives them the most beautiful texture (and taste!!!)
Even if you aren’t a baker give these a go, they really are the softest and most delicious dinner rolls you can make.
Also find me on:
Let’s share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Homemade Super Soft Dinner Rolls
- 250 ml /1 cup milk
- 3 tsp instant dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 45 g /1.5oz soft salted butter
- 1 egg
- 600 g /3 cups plain flour
- drizzle of olive oil
- Place the milk in the microwave and blast for 2o seconds. Test with your finger, you should just be able to stand the heat.
- Pour the milk into your stand mixer, add in the yeast, sugar, salt, butter, and egg.
- Add in half of the flour and mix with a dough hook on speed one.
- Slowly add in the remaining flour, until the dough is well combined and pulls cleanly away from the bowl. The dough will be very soft.
- Pour the olive oil into a large mixing bowl and smear it about.
- Transfer the dough to the bowl and turn it over a few times to ensure it is all coated.
- Cover with a tea-towel and set aside to rise for an 75 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with cooking paper (or grease well with butter)
- Punch back the dough and then divide the dough into 12 equal balls.
- Create a C with your hand and carefully cup the dough, roll the dough on the worktop.
- Line the rolls up on your lined baking sheet.
- Cover the rolls with your tea-towel and let them rice for another hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 190ºC.
- Bake the rolls for 12-14 minutes, until just browned.
- Remove rolls and allow to cool slightly before serving.
If you love food why not subscribe to my newsletter, I will drop you an email every now and then, just to say hi and send you a couple of recipes I think you might love. It isn’t everyday! I am not that organised. Usually it is once a week (ish). And as a thank you I will send you my soup cookbook FREE. Full of my fav soups!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.