These crispy crunchy shoe string onions are so good! They taste sweet and crunchy with a background hint of salt and spice. I think I could eat a whole plateful myself! They are delicious as a snack or if you can resits eating them you could add them to a steak sandwich. Oh yes that is pure heaven!!!!!
A few months ago Stew went on a business trip to Cape Town. Our daily text correspondence went like a bit like this:
Stew: "This is my office for the day x"
Stew: Sends photo of a sparkling swimming pool and bright blue sky
Me: "Wow, gorgeous! It's raining here! Not very spring like yet! x"
Stew: "I think I could happily live with this view forever, it is amazing x"
Stew: Sends photo of the end of a large bed with the sea glistening out of the window
Me: "Wow, stunning! x"
Me: Sends photo of goat looking in at my bedroom window
It pretty much continued like that for the who time he was away!
There were also a few conversations about the boys but when our communication got really good was at about 6am!!! I would wake up to pictures of dinner!
Massive plates of amazing food, fabulous wines and loads of photos of menus! He knows me well!!! I had virtual meals in some of the nicest restaurants that week. 😉
One of the things he raved and raved about were shoe string onion rings. And I promised to make them at home. I have made them a few times now and they are not the prettiest thing to photograph!!! You want them to go for a nice crispy golden colour, which just doesn't take a great photo!! But I am sharing them anyway as they taste amazing!!!!! Well I say you want then nice and golden, they taste really good when they are a light golden colour too, but you don't get quite as much crunch.
A bad photo just means I will have to make them again and try taking another photo! But for now I will just leave you with these!!! As they are too amazing not to share!!!
If you love this recipe for Crispy, Crunchy Shoe String Onions why not pin it for later.
Come play on Pinterest.
I share a lot of food!!!! And quite a lot of other stuff! Come find me today x
Also find me on:
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter.
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Shoe String Onion Rings with Garlic Mayo
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg
- 2 onions
- 2 litre neutral oil (sunflower/vegetable/canola)
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoon salt (see notes)
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- Mix the milk and apple cider vinegar together in a large bowl.
- Add the egg and whisk to combine then set aside.
- Peel the onions and then slice as finely as you can manage.
- Separate the onion rings into the milk mixture and leave them to stand for 30 minutes.
- pour the oil into a heavy based pan and bring the temperature of the oil up to 190ºC/375ºF (or use your deep fat fryer)
- Combine the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder and sage together in a large bowl.
- Drain the onion slices out of the milk and then add them into the seasoned flour.
- Mix well to coat.
- Tip the mixture into a colander to remove excess flour (which will burn easily in your oil)
- Work in batches, deep fry the onions for a couple of minutes until golden.
- Drain on kitchen towel and then enjoy with a little bit of garlic mayo.
If you love food why not subscribe to my newsletter, I will drop you an email every now and then, just to say hi and send you a couple of recipes think you might love, like these Crispy, Crunchy Shoe String Onions.
It isn't everyday! I am not that organised. Usually it is once a week (ish). And as a thank you I will send you my soup cookbook FREE. Full of my fav soups!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Leave a Reply