This Mexican Ground Beef Taco filling is so easy to put together, making it perfect for a quick midweek dinner.
You can change the spice level to suit your family. We are still on the mild end of the spectrum, although the boys are slowly developing a taste for a little bit of heat.
Everyone loves tacos!!! I mean what is not to love. Richly flavoured filling, fresh veg and salad, a bit of spice, maybe some cheese and then soft tortilla wraps.
Or are you a hard shell taco lover?
We are divided in our family. I love the flour wraps whilst the kids love the crunch.
Mexican Ground Beef Taco Filling
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tbsp tomato paste/puree
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Peel and finely chop one onion and 3 garlic cloves.
- Pour 1 tbsp of olive oil into a heavy based skillet and add the chopped onion and garlic.
- Fry over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add in 2lb/1kg of ground beef and use your spatula to break it apart.
- Add in 2 tbsp tomato paste/puree, 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp paprika, 1 ½ tsp cumin, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp dried basil, 1 tsp onion powder, ½ tsp smoked paprika and ¼ tsp black pepper. (also add ½ tsp of cayenne pepper if you want it spicy)
- Stir everything together and add ½ cup of water.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes over low heat until the meat has cooked through and the flavors have developed. If the mixture starts to look too dry add a further ¼ cup of water, if the mixture looks too wet, raise the flame to medium-high.