This Mexican Ground Beef Taco filling is so easy to put together, making it perfect for a quick midweek dinner.
You can change the spice level to suit your family. We are still on the mild end of the spectrum, although the boys are slowly developing a taste for a little bit of heat.
Everyone loves tacos!!! I mean what is not to love. Richly flavoured filling, fresh veg and salad, a bit of spice, maybe some cheese and then soft tortilla wraps.
Or are you a hard shell taco lover?
We are divided in our family. I love the flour wraps whilst the kids love the crunch.
Get the Recipe
Mexican Ground Beef Taco Filling
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste/puree
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Peel and finely chop one onion and 3 garlic cloves.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a heavy based skillet and add the chopped onion and garlic.
- Fry over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add in 2lb/1kg of ground beef and use your spatula to break it apart.
- Add in 2 tablespoon tomato paste/puree, 2 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoon paprika, 1 ½ teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon dried basil, 1 teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon smoked paprika and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. (also add ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper if you want it spicy)
- Stir everything together and add ½ cup of water.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes over low heat until the meat has cooked through and the flavors have developed. If the mixture starts to look too dry add a further ¼ cup of water, if the mixture looks too wet, raise the flame to medium-high.
Nutrition is per serving