Crispy apple, the mild spice of red onion, sweet and sour pomegranate, the crunch of capsicum, flavourful and grassy coriander and the freshness of lime. This Apple and Pomegranate Salsa is delicious!
I first had apple salsa from a food van at a market in the grounds of Nottingham castle. I had some friends who made jewellery, and they had a stall there one weekend, I was living just around the corner in the park, so I took a walk down, had a good mooch about and sampled as many of the food vans as I could.
I ate a delicious crispy chilli squid wrap, packed with a bright, sweet and sour apple salsa!! It was delicious!
You want to pick a nice crisp green apple. I like to use granny smiths, the crisp flesh and slightly tart flavour are perfect for this dish.
The addition of pomegranate adds some sweetness but another level of sour fruit. I love pomegranate seeds. They are so beautiful, like little shining jewels in your dinner. But they can be a bit of a pain! All those tiny seeds!!! The way I remove the seeds is to cut the fruit in half, hold it over a bowl and use a wooden spoon to whack the skin. The tiny red jewels rain out. So easy!
This salsa is jam packed with flavour. And jam packed full of fruit and veg. Which makes it healthy! So you can eat it without guilt.
Serve it with your favourite chips and enjoy.
If you love this recipe for Apple and Pomegranate Salsa why not subscribe to my newsletter, then you can have delicious recipes straight into your inbox. What is more, as a thank you I will send you my soup ebook for FREE!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Also find me on:
Let’s share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Apple and Pomegranate Salsa
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 green apples (granny smiths are a great choice)
- 1 fresh pomegranate
- 1/2 yellow capsicum
- large handful fresh coriander
- pinch of salt
- Finely chop the red onion and place in a small non-reactive bowl.
- Cut the lime in half, squeeze the juice of one half over the red onion and then sprinkle over the brown sugar. Set aside
- Cut the apples into quarters, cut away the core and then chop into small dice and add it to a large bowl.
- Squeeze over the remaining lime juice.
- Cut the pomegranate in half. Hold one half cut side down over the bowl.
- Take a wooden spoon and whack the skin of the pomegranate to release the seeds into the bowl. Repeat with the other half.
- Finely chop the capsicum and add it to the other fruit and veg.
- Chop the coriander and stir it through the salsa.
- Pour over the macerated onions and the beautiful pink juice.
- Season with salt and stir everything together.