Thai Sweet Potato Mash Recipe
This Thai Sweet Potato Mash is one of the best side dishes EVER. The natural sweetness of the potato mixed with the wonderful Thai spices gives you the most delicious sweet and savory mashed sweet potatoes recipe. The boiled sweet potatoes are mashed until smooth and then mixed with red Thai curry paste and coconut milk. This is finished with a little red chili, shredded coconut, and fresh cilantro.
Use the options below to toggle between cups and grams (if relevant)
- 6 medium sweet potatoes - see note 1
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ⅔ cup coconut milk - see note 2
- 1 ½ tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 red chili - finely chopped
- 3 tbsp shredded coconut
- fresh cilantro
Peel and cut the 6 sweet potatoes into 1″ (2.5cm) cubes.
Then place in a large saucepan and cover with boiling water.
Bring back to a boil, add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of brown sugar. Then simmer for 15 minutes until tender.
While the sweet potatoes are cooking pour 2/3 cup of coconut milk into a small pan and bring to a simmer, add the red Thai curry paste and stir to dissolve.
Drain well and then return potatoes to saucepan.
Mash the potatoes to your preferred consistency (See note 3)
Pour the hot coconut milk mixture through your mashed potatoes and stir to combine.
Serve garnished with the chopped red chili, 3 tablespoons of shredded coconut, and fresh cilantro.
- Six sweet potatoes will be around 3.5lb-4lb (1.5kg-1.8kg)
- You can replace this with coconut cream for a richer dish.
- Ways to mash your sweet potatoes:
- Use a Fork: This will give you a coarser mashed sweet potato.
- Use a Potato Masher: (preferred method) This gives excellent results and a beautiful smooth mash.
- Use a Food Processor/mixer: Unlike standard potatoes, you can get a smooth mash from sweet potatoes in the food processor, but be careful, just like standard potatoes they can turn gluey if you mix them for too long.
Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 473mg | Potassium: 530mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 19105IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 2mg