Easy Homemade Brown Gravy Recipe (no drippings)
Learn how to make Homemade Brown Gravy from scratch. So easy, this gravy can be made without drippings as it is thickened with flour. The flavor comes from beef broth/stock whilst the rich texture comes from some butter and a splash of heavy cream. The perfect gravy for serving with your beef roast, pork chops or sausage and mashed potatoes.
Cook Time6 mins
Total Time6 mins
Use the options below to toggle between cups and grams (if relevant)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp AP flour
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth/stock
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp beef - better than bouillon - See note 1
- pinch pepper (Black or white)
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- salt to taste
Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
Stir in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes until well combined and golden brown.
Whisk in 1/4 cup of the beef broth, the mixture will become a very thick paste. Gradually whisk in 1/4 more broth. Once the mixture has thinned slightly you can gradually whisk in the remaining broth.
Add the Worcestershire sauce, the beef base, and the pepper.
Bring to a low simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened and glossy.
Add the heavy cream, taste and season with salt if needed.
- Beef better than bouillon is an intense beef base, you can replace it with the beef paste or half a crumbled beef stock cube. It adds great beefy depth and saltiness to your gravy helping to replace the flavor missing from drippings. You can leave it out but you will find you need to add more salt to your brown gravy.
Calories: 106kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 456mg | Potassium: 59mg | Vitamin A: 290IU | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 0.4mg