Easy Chicken Rogan Josh Recipe
Rogan Josh is one of the most popular Indian curries, and you will find it on every Indian dine-in and takeout menu. It is often cooked with lamb, but this chicken rogan josh is quicker and just as tasty! The curry gravy packs a big punch of flavor, but everything can easily be found in the grocery store. Perfect for serving with rice and naan. Plus you can adapt the chili level to suit your family.
Use the options below to toggle between cups and grams (if relevant)
For the curry
- 1.6 lb chicken thighs - see note 1
- 4 tbsp ghee, or substitute butter/oil - see note 2
- 1 cinnamon stick, or 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon - see note 3
- 6 green cardamom pods, or 1 tsp of ground cardamon - see note 3
- 4 cloves or a pinch of ground cloves (- see note 3)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large onion - finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger - grated
- 1 cup chicken broth/stock
- 4 tbsp tomato puree/passata - see note 4
- 1 tsp salt
For the spice blend
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala - see note 5
- 1 tsp ground fennel - see note 6
- ¼-½ tsp cayenne pepper, more or less to taste - see note 7
- ½ tsp garam masala - see note 5
- ½ tsp ground fennel - see note 6
- ¼ cup natural yogurt
- Fresh cilantro/coriander leaves
Chop the chicken into large chunks and set to one side.1.6lb/750g chicken thighs Melt the ghee in a large, heavy pan over medium heat. Add the whole spices and cook for 1 minute until aromatic. (See note 3 if you aren't using whole spices)4 tbsp ghee/butter/oil
1 cinnamon stick
6 cardamon pods (lightly crushed)
2 bay leaves
Add the chopped onion and fry for 10 minutes until softened and starting to turn golden brown.1 onion - finely chopped Add the spices to the onion and stir to coat.2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground fennel
¼-½ tsp cayenne pepper
Add the chopped garlic and grated ginger. Cook for another minute.4 garlic cloves - finely chopped
1 tbsp grated ginger
Pour in the chicken broth, tomato puree/passata then add the chopped chicken and salt.1 cup chicken broth/stock
4 tbsp tomato puree/passata
1 tsp salt
Stir well to coat, then bring to a simmer.
Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and cook for 45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
Add in the yogurt then season with the additional garam masala and ground fennel.¼ cup natural yogurt
¼ tsp garam masala
¼ tsp ground fennel
Cook for 2-3 more minutes and serve garnished with cilantro/fresh coriander.
- The recipe uses chicken thighs as they won't dry out during the cooking time. If you want to use chicken breast, prepare the curry as instructed, but at step 6, don't add the chicken, just simmer the sauce for 30 minutes and then add in the chopped chicken breast for the last 15 minutes of simmering.
- Ghee is clarified butter. You can usually find it in grocery stores, but butter or vegetable oil is a good alternative.
- If you are using the ground alternatives, don't add them until you add the other spices in step 4.
- Tomato Puree(US) or Passata (UK/AU) is a thick, smooth puree. It is made with uncooked tomatoes that have been pureed and strained. It has an intense tomato flavor and is thicker than canned crushed tomatoes. In Australia, it is known as passata, but in the US it is more commonly labeled Tomato Puree (often with passata written underneath) Tomato paste is a much stronger product, so if that is all you have then use half the amount and thin it down with warm water.
- Garam marsala is an Indian spice blend that you can buy in most grocery stores. It adds extra depth to curries. If you can't find it then you can add mild curry powder instead.
- You can buy ground fennel in most grocery stores, or pick fennel seeds and bash in a pestle and mortar.
Calories: 599kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 47g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 218mg | Sodium: 759mg | Potassium: 721mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1961IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 4mg