Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Gnocchi
This Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Gnocchi is the best kind of comfort food! Rich, creamy, and delicious! It is easy to make, cooks in one pan, and is ready in under 20 minutes!! The creamy Tuscan sauce is a mixture of sun-dried tomatoes, cream, garlic, and spinach. All cooked together in the same pan as the pillowy gnocchi. You can serve this vegetarian gnocchi recipe as a main course or side dish, or it is excellent served with chicken or some sauteed shrimp. The perfect midweek dinner for the whole family!
Use the options below to toggle between cups and grams (if relevant)
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes - see note 1
- 3 tbsp oil, from the sundried tomato jar - see note 2
- 2 tbsp AP flour
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tsp tomato paste - see note 3
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp Italian herbs
- 1/4 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, more to taste
- 1 lb store-bought potato gnocchi - see note 4
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (I like fresh)
- fresh basil to serve
- extra parmesan to serve
Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic.1 onion
4 cloves garlic
Slice the sundried tomatoes into thin strips (unless you have bought julienned sun-dried tomatoes - see note 2)½ cup sundried tomatoes Place a deep skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil.3 tbsp oil (from sundried tomato jar)
Add the onions to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir to coat.2 tbsp flour Slowly pour in the vegetable broth, stirring constantly.1 ½ cups vegetable broth Add the sliced sun-dried tomatoes and tomato paste, then stir well and bring to a simmer. Cook gently for 5 minutes.½ cup julienned sundried tomatos
2 tsp tomato paste
Add the heavy cream, Italian herbs, salt, pepper, and gnocchi to the pan. Stir to combine, then cover the pan. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 6-7 minutes until the gnocchi is cooked.1 cup heavy cream
½ tsp Italian herbs
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 lb potato gnocchi
Stir in the parmesan and spinach.1 cup fresh spinach
½ cup grated parmesan
Cook for a minute to allow the spinach to wilt.
Taste for seasoning then serve with fresh basil and more parmesan.
- You can buy sun-dried tomatoes already cut into strips - called julienned sun-dried tomatoes! Either buy them already chopped up or cut them up yourself. You don't need to get them all the same size or thickness, just roughly slice them up. (julienned just means cut into thin strips)
- When buying sun-dried tomatoes, buy the ones in oil, that oil is packed with flavor. Here we are using it to fry off the onion.
- You can use two teaspoons of tomato paste or swap for one tablespoon of canned tomato/passata.
- Look for the long life shelf-stable packages; you will find it on the pasta aisle at the grocery store.
Calories: 618kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 93mg | Sodium: 712mg | Potassium: 667mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 2040IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 246mg | Iron: 6mg