Easy Onion Gravy
This Easy Onion Gravy is so quick and easy to make, packed with flavor and perfect for so many meals! Learn how to make this classic British gravy from scratch! Plus, you can make this recipe vegetarian with just one simple switch! Homemade gravy and mashed potato is pure comfort food, and this savory gravy with a hint of sweetness is perfect for serving with roast beef, steak, chicken or sausages. Forget your packet mix this brown onion gravy tastes so much better than any dry mix you can buy!
Use the options below to toggle between cups and grams (if relevant)
- 2 onions - see note 1
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp AP flour - see post for alternatives
- 1 ½ cup broth/stock - see note 2
- ½ tsp better than bouillon/bouillon powder - see note 3
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- salt to taste
- You can use brown onions, white onions, red onions or shallots. I use brown onions as they are cheap and easy to find.
- Use whichever broth makes sense with your meal, chicken broth for chicken, beef broth for beef etc.
- Bouillon powder or paste is an intense base that you can use to make broth/stock. I like the Better than Bouillon brand. But you can use your favorite bouillon powder or half a crumbled stock cube. Like the broth in note 2, I usually match the bouillon base to the broth/stock I am using. So when making this vegetarian, I will pick a vegetable bouillon paste, or if I am using chicken broth, then I will use Chicken bouillon.
- For a richer, sweeter gravy, allow the onions to cook over very low heat until caramelized and sweet.
Calories: 157kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 488mg | Potassium: 92mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 473IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 1mg