Easy Homemade White Gravy Recipe
Learn how to make Homemade White Gravy from scratch. This simple recipe is so easy and uses just 3 staple ingredients (5 if you count salt and pepper!) This is the perfect gravy for serving with your chicken fried steak, crispy coated chicken breasts, biscuits or over mashed potato. White gravy is a southern classic sometimes called country gravy or pepper gravy. Forget the packet mixes your family is going to love this homemade gravy!
Use the options below to toggle between cups and grams (if relevant)
- 2 tbsp butter - or fat from cooking your meat
- 2 tbsp AP flour
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp black pepper - see note 1
- ½ tsp salt - see note 1
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- additional salt and pepper to taste
Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
Stir in the flour and cook for 3-4 minutes until well combined and a good golden brown.
Whisk in 1/4 cup of the milk, the mixture will become a very thick paste. Gradually whisk in 1/4 cup more milk. Once the mixture has thinned slightly you can gradually whisk in the remaining 1 cup of milk. (see note 2)
Add the salt and pepper.
Bring to a low simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened and glossy.
Add the heavy cream, taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Depending on your butter you might need to add additional salt (and pepper) to the recipe. Finish the gravy and then taste, add extra salt and pepper until the taste sparks on your tongue.
- This makes a thick gravy, if you like your white gravy thinner, then add 1/4-1/2 cup more milk.
Calories: 156kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 384mg | Potassium: 132mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 436IU | Calcium: 116mg | Iron: 1mg