Authentic Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe
Spaghetti Bolognese is an Italian classic loved the world over. This Authentic Spaghetti Bolognese is cooked long and low to leave you with a rich, deep ragu that is loaded with flavor. Simply the best recipe for Spaghetti Bolognese - A true classic family favorite.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr 30 mins
Total Time2 hrs 20 mins
Use the options below to toggle between cups and grams (if relevant)
For the Sauce
- 2 large onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lb ground beef
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup wine - see note 1
- 3 beef bouillon cubes - like oxo
- 2 x 28oz can crushed tomato
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried Italian mixed herbs
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 1.5 lb spaghetti
- parmesan cheese
To make the sauce
Peel and finely chop the onions.
Heat the olive oil in a large pan.
Add onion and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes and cook until they are softened and lightly golden.
Turn the heat up to high, add beef and use a spatula or wooden spoon to really break the mince down as it browns. (see notes)
Crumble over the beef bouillon cubes and stir well to coat the meat.
Peel the garlic and grate or crush it into the mixture. Stir well.
Add in the red wine and let it sizzle for a a couple of minutes.
Add in the crushed tomatoes, sugar, Worcestershire Sauce, oregano, Italian mixed herbs and water.
Stir well and bring the mixture to a simmer.
10. Put the lid on and cook over a very low heat for 1 1/2 hours; stirring occasionally.
11. Once the time is up, increase the heat to medium and cooke without the lid for a further 20 minutes.
12. Taste the sauce and then add extra salt and pepper to taste.
13. At this point you can cook the pasta or cool the sauce and refrigerate it until later.
To cook the Spaghetti
Bring a very large pan of water to the boil, once boiling salt it generously and cook the pasta until al-dente. (1 minute less than the packet suggests)
Reserve a cup of the pasta cooking water and then drain the pasta.
Place the pasta back into the pan and add the reserved water. Place over a high heat and add half of the bolognese sauce. Stir well until the sauce has thickened around the pasta.
Serve the pasta with extra sauce spooned on top.
Garnish with parmesan.
- You can use red wine or white wine in this dish. White wine is actually more authentic, but red wine tastes delicious too.
Calories: 683kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 80mg | Sodium: 463mg | Potassium: 608mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 30IU | Vitamin C: 2.7mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 4.3mg