The Best Savory Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe
Learn how to make the BEST savory mashed sweet potatoes ever. They make a great healthy, low carb option perfect as a side dish for your midweek meal, as well as Easter, Thanksgiving or Christmas. The boiled sweet potatoes are mashed until smooth and then mixed with butter and sour cream, to create an easy and quick side, that doesn't take up oven space. Plus boiling them makes them extra soft, smooth and creamy.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- pinch salt
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream - see note 1
- 1/2 tsp salt - see note 2
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp finely chopped parsley
Peel and cut the sweet potatoes in to 1" (2.5cm) cubes.
Then place in a a large saucepan and cover with boiling water.
Bring back to a boil, add a pinch of salt, then simmer for 15 minutes until tender.
Drain well and then return potatoes to saucepan.
Mash the potatoes to your preferred consistency (See note 3)
Add in the butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, and most of the chopped parsley.
Stir well to combine and melt the butter.
Taste and add more salt depending on your tastes (see note 2)
Once mixed, serve with an extra slice of butter and the remaining chopped parsley.
- You can replace the sour cream with a low fat yogurt, but the results won't be as creamy.
- If you were overly generous with the salt in your boiling water you may need slight less. I find most people use 1/2 tsp, but I like a little more. So taste your mash and add more as needed.
- Ways to mash your sweet potatoes
- Use a Fork: This will give you a coarser mashed sweet potato.
- Use a Potato Masher: (preferred method) This gives great results and a wonderful smooth mash.
- Use a Food Processor/mixer: Unlike standard potatoes, you can get a smooth mash from sweet potatoes in the food processor but be careful, just like standard potatoes they can turn gluey if you mix them for too long.
Calories: 216kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 449mg | Potassium: 458mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 376% | Vitamin C: 3.8% | Calcium: 5.7% | Iron: 4.4%