Simple Garlic Naan Recipe (Traditional Indian Bread)
This Simple Garlic Naan is so quick to make and this Indian bread takes no baking. You can make this in a skillet or griddle on the stove top. Whilst the dough does have yeast in it I promise this is super easy to make and even if you have never made a yeast dough before you can learn how to make delicious Indian style bread at home. What is better than serving your curries with a homemade bread recipe.
Servings: 6 (1/2 naan each)
Use the options below to toggle between cups and grams (if relevant)
For the naan breads
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups all-purpose flour (plain flour) (see note 1)
- 1 tsp dried instant yeast (see note 2)
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- pinch sugar
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3 tbsp oil (see note 3)
For the Garlic Butter
- ½ cup salted butter
- 2 tsp dried garlic flakes
- 2 tsp dried cilantro
To make the dough (STAND MIXER METHOD)
Set your stand mixer up with a dough hook.
Place the flour, yeast, salt and sugar into the bowl of your stand mixer and mix on low to combine.
Pour in the water and oil and mix on low for 10 minutes until you have an elastic dough.
Cover the bowl with cling film and leave it to rise for 20 minutes.
To make dough (BY HAND METHOD)
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
Add the water and oil, then use a fork or butter knife to combine all the ingredients, once you have a raggy looking dough, start using your hands to bring the dough together, until the sides of the bowl are clean.
Empty the dough on a floured board and knead the dough for 15 minutes.
Place in a bowl, cover with cling wrap and leave for 20 minutes.
To form and cook the dough
Once the dough has sat for 20 minutes, punch it back down and then divide the dough into three roughly equal balls.
Place one ball on a floured board and use your hands or a rolling pin to form the naan breads into oval/teardrop shapes (ensure they will fit in your skillet/griddle). (see note 4)
Put a heavy skillet/griddle over a high heat and allow it to get searingly hot.
Place the dough onto the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes, it should start to puff up and charr lightly.
Flip the bread and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
Remove to a plate and drizzle with the garlic butter.
Cover with foil and keep in a low oven whilst you prepare the other breads.
To make the Garlic Butter
- Not all cup measures are created equal, I have found that my 4 different sets all give me a different amount of flour! And then depending on how you fill your cup, the quantity of flour will vary quite significantly as well!
I lightly pack my cups and then level them off. Start by adding 1 1/2 cups of flour and mixing it, if you find the dough is too wet, add up to 1/2 cup more flour 1 tablespoon at a time.
If you have scales in the house, then this is the perfect time to use them. By weight you need 10.5oz/300g of flour.
- The recipe calls for dry instant yeast, I use either, Red Star Quick-Rise, Fleischmann's RapidRise or Lowan Instant Dried Yeast.
If you have dry active yeast, then you can use that but you will need to adapt the recipe as follows:
Measure the water into the mixing bowl first and dissolve the yeast. To do this just sprinkle the yeast over the surface of the water and leave for 5 minutes. You can then add the remaining ingredients and proceed with the recipe.
- 3 tbsp of oil = 45ml of oil. (The recipe uses US/UK 15ml tablespoons rather than the AU/NZ 20ml tablespoons)
- The dough should be soft, so lightly flour your board or work surface to stop it sticking. Roughly divide the dough into 3 pieces and then roll each piece out until it is a little thicker than 1/4 inch thick. Don't be too worried about it, just roll it out so it will fit in the skillet or griddle, if some bits are thicker than others it won't matter, just try and get it anywhere between 1/4" and a 1/2" thick. (6mm-9mm)
Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 330mg | Potassium: 61mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 485IU | Vitamin C: 1.2mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 1.6mg