Honey Oat Guinness Bread Rolls
These traditional Irish Honey Oat Guinness Bread Rolls make such an easy side dish for your St Patricks Day corned beef and cabbage or your Guinness stew. The brown bread rolls are made with oats, beer and baking soda to make a simple dough that doesn't need to prove. Just mix it with a spoon and start baking! Bring Ireland into your kitchen day with these delicious and easy Guinness bread rolls!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
Use the options below to toggle between cups and grams (if relevant)
- 2 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats - see note 1
- 2 tsp koser salt/sea salt - see note 2
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups Guinness
- 2/3 cup buttermilk/runny yoghurt
- 1/4 cup oil - see note 3
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp rolled oats - optional garnish
Preheat the oven to 425ºF/220ºC.
Prepare you baking sheet by lining them with cooking/parchment paper.Mix the flour, oats, salt and baking soda together in a bowl.
In a large measuring cup/jug add the Guinness buttermilk, oil and honey together (See note 4 for tips on your honey)
Whisk the liquids together to dissolve the honey. Carefully pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon until you have a wet mixture.
Use the spoon to dollop out 12 roughly round balls onto the lined baking sheet.You can sprinkle a few oats over the top of each roll at this point. (purely optional but it looks pretty)
Bake the rolls for 15-20 minutes minutes, or until they are golden brown and make a noise when you tap the bottom.
Transfer the roll to a cooling rack and serve when warm.
Alternately the rolls will keep for unto 3 days.
- Make sure you use rolled oats and not the quick cook oats.
- If you are using table salt then reduce the quantity to 1 teaspoon.
- When measuring out the honey and oil. Use your quarter cup measure to measure out the oil, then without washing use the same cup measure to measure out the honey, the residual oil in the cup will mean the honey runs out easily!
Calories: 331kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 628mg | Potassium: 282mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 25IU | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 2.8mg