Takeout Style Cantonese Beef and Tomato Stir Fry
Restaurant style Cantonese beef and tomato stir fry is so easy to make at home and tastes better than takeout. This delicious Chinese recipe is healthy and quick to make. Plus the sauce is delicious over rice or make it even more healthy and serve with stir fried veggies
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Marinade Time15 mins
Total Time10 mins
For the Stir Fry
- 1 lb beef - steaks or stir fry strips (see Note 1)
- 2 tsp baking soda (see Note 2)
- 1 onion - yellow/brown/white
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lb fresh tomatoes (See Note 3)
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
For the Sauce:
- 3 tsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Chinese rice wine (See Note 4)
To Tenderise the Beef
If using beef steaks, slice beef the beef across the grain, into 1/4" / 0.5cm thick strips (see bulk of post for detailed pictures).
Place the beef strips in a non-metallic bowl and sprinkle with baking soda and gently mix so all the beef is fully coated.
Set the beef aside for 15 minutes.
Rinse the beef extremely well and then pat it dry with kitchen paper. (See note 5)
Prepare the vegetables.
Peel the onion and cut into thick wedges.
Peel and finely chop the garlic.
Cut each tomato into 6 wedges.
Prepare the sauce:
Mix the corn starch, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and Chinese rice wine together in a small measuring cup. Set aside.
To cook the stir fry
Place a heavy based fry pan or wok over high heat.
Once hot add the 1 tablespoon of oil to it and swirl gently.
Add the beef and cook quickly for 2 minutes.
Remove the beef from the pan and set to one side.
Add the remaining oil to the pan and stir fry the onion until just starting to color. Add the garlic and tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
Give the sauce a stir and then add it to the pan along with the cooked beef.
Stir well and cook for a further minute until the sauce thickens.
- You can either use a packet of beef stir fry strips or choose a beef steak. Any of the following will work:
- Flank Steak
- Skirt Steak
- Stir Fry Strips
- Rump Steak
- Round Steak
- Baking soda is also called Bicarb, Bicarbonate of Soda and Sodium Bicarbonate, it will break down the fibres in the meat and leave it so tender.
- You can use any fresh tomato, but I recommend either standard tomatoes, plum tomatoes or roma tomatoes. Beefsteak tomatoes tend to be on the large size and don't soften fully, whilst cherry tomatoes area little small and turn easily to mush.
- Chinese Rice Wine, also known as Chinese Cooking Wine or Chinese Shaoxing Wine. You can buy it in the grocery store, it will be in the Asian section. If you can't find it then dry sherry is a great substitute. Don't confused Chinese Rice Wine with rice wine vinegar.... your stir fry will be gross if that happens!
- Ensure you dry the beef really well so it stir fries rather that sweats when you cook it.
Calories: 282kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 1339mg | Potassium: 761mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 18.9% | Vitamin C: 23.9% | Calcium: 4.1% | Iron: 18.1%