Takeout Style Happy Family Stir Fry
This Happy Family Stir Fry recipe is a wonderful combination of beef, chicken and shrimp, all cooked in one pot with fresh veggies and a light brown Chinese sauce. It is easy to make at home and tastes so much better than a takeout. Paired with steamed rice it is a healthy weeknight meal.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
marinading time14 mins
Total Time20 mins
For the Stir Fry
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 lb flank steak
- 1 tbsp baking soda - see note 1
- 1 cups broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup carrots - sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 12 large raw shrimp
- 1/2 cup mushrooms - sliced
- 1/2 cup water chestnut slices
- 1 cup baby corn - chopped into thirds
- 3 green onions - sliced
- 2 garlic cloves - thinly sliced
For the Sauce
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp Chinese cooking wine - see note 2
- 1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- large pinch of ground white pepper
- pinch brown sugar
To tenderise the meat
Slice the beef across the grain, into 1/4" / 0.5cm thick strips (see bulk of post for detailed pictures) and place in a non-metallic bowl.
Slice the chicken across the grain, into 1/4" / 0.5cm thick strips and place in another non-metallic bowl.
Sprinkle half a tablespoon of baking soda over the beef and half a tablespoon of baking soda over the chicken. Gently turn the meat so it is all lightly coated.
Set the meat aside for 15 minutes.
Rinse the both meats extremely well and then pat them dry with kitchen paper. (See note 3)
Whilst the meat is tenderising cook the hard veg
Place a large nonstick skillet over a medium high heat, add in the broccoli florets, sliced carrot and a 1/4 cup of boiling water.
Cover the skillet and allow the veg to steam for a minute. The water should all have evaporated. Transfer the veg to a plate for later.
To make the stir fry
Mix the the chicken broth together with the cornstarch, then add the Chinese cooking wine, oyster sauce, soy sauce, white pepper and brown sugar. Stir well and set to one side.
Place the skillet back over a high heat and heat for at least 1 minute. Add in the oil and once it is shimmering add the chicken in a single layer.
Cook, without touching for 1 minute then stir in the beef and cook for 1 minute.
Add the shrimp and cook for a minute. Season with the whole skillet with salt.
Add all the vegetables and cook for further 2 minutes.
Stir in the garlic, then give the sauce a second stir and add it to the pan.
Bring to a simmer and cook for 1-2 minute to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Baking Soda is also called Bicarb, Bicarbonate of Soda and Sodium Bicarbonate.
- Chinese Cooking Wine/Chinese Rice Wine - not to mistaken for rice wine vinegar!!! You can sub in dry sherry if you like.
- Make sure you wash the beef and chicken really well to remove any traces of baking soda. It is amazing at tenderizing meat, but has a terrible taste so you want to remove it.
Calories: 339kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 115mg | Sodium: 1943mg | Potassium: 796mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1750IU | Vitamin C: 31.5mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 2.6mg