Takeout Style Chicken and Snow Peas
With this Takeout Style Chicken and Snow Peas stir fry, you can have a healthy Asian chicken dinner on the table in no time. Making Chinese takeout recipes at home, is much easier than you think! They are perfect for families as they are quick and there are plenty of veggies included, plus the wonderful Chinese savory sauce adds the authentic takeout taste BUT this Chicken and Snow Peas is better than takeout!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time6 mins
Marinating time15 mins
Total Time16 mins
For the stir fry
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda - see note 1
- 2 cups snow peas
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 green onion
- 1 tbsp oil
For the sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken stock/broth
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Chinese Cooking Wine - see note 2
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- pinch pepper - white is traditional
- 1/4 tsp sugar
Whilst the chicken is marinating:
Trim the snow peas, peel and slice the garlic and thinly slice the sting onion and set them all to one side.
Rinse the chicken really well to remove any traces of baking soda and then pat dry with some kitchen paper. (This can be down up to 4 hours ahead of time)
In a small bowl mix the sauce ingredients together and set aside.
Pour the oil into a large skillet or fry pan over a high heat and let it get hot.
Add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes.
Add in the snow peas and chopped green onions and cook for 2 minutes until softened.
Turn the heat down to medium, then add in the garlic, give the sauce a stir and pour it over the meat.
Cook for a minute or so until the sauce has thickened and has coated the meat and veg.
- Baking soda is also known as bicarb of soda, bicarbonate of soda and sodium bicarbonate. Don't get it muddled with baking powder, that won't tenderise you meat.
- Chinese Cooking Wine is sometimes called Chinese Cooking Rice Wine, Shaohsing Rice Cooking Wine, Shaoxing wine or Shaoxing Cooking Wine.
Calories: 209kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 920mg | Potassium: 542mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 11.9% | Vitamin C: 38.3% | Calcium: 2.7% | Iron: 8.6%