Flourless Orange and Almond Cake
This Flourless Orange and Almond Cake is the easiest and most delicious cake EVER! It uses a whole orange and almond meal, which keep it moist as well as making it gluten free and dairy free. The cake is simple to make, so moist without the need to drench it in syrup and will keep for up to a week. Plus with my easy decorating tricks you'll have a Best Orange Cake ever.
Use the options below to toggle between cups and grams (if relevant)
- 1 orange
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 ¼ cups almond meal - See note 1
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp baking powder - See note 2
To Decorate: (also see note 3 for more options)
- 1 orange - sliced
- 1/4 cup raw almonds - chopped
- edible small flowers such as violas or lemon myrtle - Optional
Put the orange in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer for an hour, topping the water up if needed.
Remove the orange from the water and let it cool.
Whilst the orange is cooling pre-heat the oven to 340ºF/170ºC.
Butter and line a 9" x 5"(23cm x13cm) loaf pan.
Break the unpeeled orange into the food processor, removing any pips as you go.
Blitz the orange until you have a rough pulp. Push the sides down and give it another whizz.
Add the eggs to the orange and whizz gently to combine.
Add in the brown sugar, almond meal, lemon juice and baking powder and give the mixture a whizz until it is all combined.
Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and cover with foil.
Bake the cake for 40 minutes, then remove the foil and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan.
To serve the cake, carefully invert it to a serving plate. Then decorate with slices of orange, chopped almonds and edible flowers.
- Almond meal is also known as almond flour or ground almonds and is easy to find in the grocery store. You can buy whole almonds and grind them down yourself in the food processor. It takes a while, but keep a close eye on it, otherwise you could end up with almond butter!!!!
- If you are making this specifically for someone who cannot tolerate gluten then make sure your baking powder is gluten free.
- Alternative toppings include:
- Shaved chocolate
- Candied lemon slices
- Drizzled with melted chocolate
- Dusted with icing sugar
- Piled with fresh blueberrys
- Grated lemon and lime zest
- Topped with a thin layer of cream cheese icing
- Or leave it plain
Calories: 200kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 28mg | Potassium: 108mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 125IU | Vitamin C: 9.4mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 1.1mg