How has your Saturday been? My parents have taken the boys down to the lake so I am enjoying a drink and some peace and quiet. It is rare I get to blog in the day whilst it is quiet. Usually I write a few lines, then make juice, write a few more lines then chop some apple slices, write one line and then break up a fight, write a few more lines and cut some cubes of cheese. Or I blog late at night when everyone is in bed. I sit with the laptop, the window open to smell the gorgeous night air and no other lights on as, due to the lake at the end of our plot, we have so many midges here, so if you have a window open and a light on late at night you find the little flies invade your space.
Anyway I am digressing, so unlike me ;-), I am blogging in peace and quiet and enjoying a summer cocktail.
We have had a lazy day as my parents are still recovering from the change of time zones. They were pretty shattered last night, after dinner my Dad actually fell asleep at the table with both boys sat on his lap! Having said that even with jet lag they have already started ‘doing‘. Apologies for the photo, I took it with my phone, it was dark and I was zoomed in. But I just had to share!
I thought I’d share a drink with you today. Something summery and fresh. Do you like the name? I was grinning when I came up with it. As the name suggests there is thyme in this cocktail. I am going to be strict here, it has to be fresh thyme. Please don’t try this with dried thyme, it tastes terrible! Believe me I have tried! If you don’t have fresh thyme it is better to leave it out than add dried thyme. It will still be a delicious punch without the thyme.
This makes a lot! But seen as over half of it is fruit juice it isn’t hard to drink a few glasses. If you have it to hand then a splash of crème de cassis would turn these a wonderful sunset colour. I didn’t as my drinks cabinet is looking a little bare. Although it has been given a healthy addition thanks to duty free shopping parents 🙂
If you love this recipe for Summerthyme Cocktail why not subscribe to my newsletter, then you can have delicious recipes straight into your inbox. What is more as a thank you I will send you my soup ebook for FREE!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Also find me on:
Let’s share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Summerthyme Cocktail (with easy Mocktail option)
- 65 g icing sugar
- pinch of salt
- 125 ml lemon juice
- 125 ml lime juice
- 4 sprigs of lemon thyme
- 400 ml grapefruit juice
- 400 ml orange juice
- 1 bottle sparkling white wine
- Place sugar and salt into a large jug.
- Remove the leaves from the bottom half of each sprig of thyme. Keep the top half on the stem as a garnish.
- Add the removed leaves to the sugar/salt mix.
- Add the lemon and lime juice and stir well until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Add the grapefruit juice and orange juice.
- Refrigerate the mixture until you need it.
- Depending on the size of your jug either add the sparking wine to the jug and serve. Or half fill glasses with the juice mix and then top up with sparkling wine.
- Garnished with a sprig of thyme.
- Replace the sparkling wine with a bottle of tonic water. Or lemonade works well too.