I love oven roasted chicken! I love chicken thighs so when you add a delicious, simple and flavour punching marinade you know you are onto a winner. And that is what this recipe for oven roasted chicken shawarma does. It takes succulent chicken thighs, covers them with aromatic flavours and roasts the chicken until it is charred, but still juicy. If you want to see how much I love oven roasted chicken, check out my recipe collection 😉
This is perfect for serving to friends on a Friday night. Fill the table with some flat breads, salads and a yoghurt sauce and you have a dinner that takes minimal effort, but delivers full flavours. What is more you can leave your friends to assemble their own, which makes for more fun, more conversation and less stress for you. If you are feeling in the mood then you can make your own flatbreads (get my recipe here), but shop bought is more than fine, just remove the wrapping and warm them gently in the cooling oven once you have removed the chicken for slicing.
Don't be put off by the length of the ingredients list, there is nothing in there that can't be bought in the supermarket. This isn't a very spicy version, but if you want some extra heat then you can up the cayenne pepper. Or place a small bowl with some chilli flakes in on the table, then your guests can ramp up the heat if they wish.
I have suggested tomato and cucumber for this, 1) because it is easy and this is Friday night! 2) because they are easy to shop for and 3) because they work well. But you can add any salad you wish to these. Shredded lettuce, fresh spinach, grated carrot, grilled aubergine, charred peppers...the list goes on. Add what you have, what is easy and what you like. It is Friday night, your friends are here to see you and have a beer. Sit down, enjoy their company and relax.
If you want an extra dip/sauce for the chicken, then this works amazingly with my eggplant dip. Throw the eggplant in the oven with the chicken and let it roast away, then you are minutes away from a dip that you can eat with a spoon and call it healthy as it is a vegetable!!!! 😳
If you love this recipe why not subscribe to my newsletter, then you can have delicious recipes straight into your inbox. What is more as a thank you I will send you my soup ebook for FREE!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Also find me on:
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Oven Roasted Chicken Shawarma
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 3 cloves minced garlic cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 10 chicken thigh fillets (boneless and skinless)
- handful fresh coriander
For the Yoghurt Sauce
- 200 ml Greek yoghurt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp saltTo Serve
- 12 flat breadsI use this recipe
- 6 large tomatoes
- 1 English cucumber
- Place all of the marinade ingredients into a bowl or large zip lock bag.
- Give it a good squish about until everything is well mixed.
- Add the chicken and squish it about again until everything is well covered.
- Place in the fridge to marinade for a minimum of 3 hours and unto 24.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220ºC/fan forced 200ºC/Gas mark 7.
- Spread the chicken out on a large roasting tin and cook for 45 minutes until lightly charred.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking mix together the yoghurt, lemon juice and salt.
- Chop the tomatoes into rough chunks and thinly slice the cucumber.
- Once cooked remove the chicken from the oven, slice and sprinkle with chopped coriander.
- Serve with flatbreads, chopped tomato and slices of cucumber.
- If you want an extra sauce then this Eggplant dip works amazingly well with everything.