Oh pasta how I love thee. You are still after years and years, one of three true food loves. I cannot choose between you and risotto and cheese will never leave my heart, but pasta I think you are my food of choice. You are my go to food, my fall back food but that is not to diminish your amazingness. You are those things because you are the ingredient that makes me happy.
My only criticism is not of you but of my ability to photograph you. I can never quite get the amazing comfort that you bring me to jump from the page. You are such a wonderful food and I do not post you enough on my blog, not because of you but because of me. A huge plate of you makes me smile but my photos of you do not.
So pasta I apologies. And I apologies to my readers to as I know I made a pasta promise.
But, these photos are okay so I am sharing this wonderful vegetarian pasta recipe. This dish is a solitary favourite of mine, I love it, but my family isn't so keen. So I am sharing this with some trepidation! Maybe I am just a deluded pasta lover who will eat any form of pasta??? Or maybe others will love the lemony lemon hit of this fab dish. The crisp leeks give it a wonderful edge, whilst the fresh parsley and salty parmesan make the dish wonderfully light yet filling.
Sadly this dish isn't great for leftovers 🙁 the lemon juice soaks into the pasta making it a bit soggy. But I have never had an issue with pasta leftovers as I never get any!!!!
If you love this recipe why not sign up for my FREE weekly newsletter, packed with recipes, tips and tricks.
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Also find me on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
- 1 leek
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 250g spiral pasta (or shape of your choice)
- 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- handful of parsley
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 50g parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, salt generously and add the pasta, set your timer for 2 minutes under the recommended cooking time. Check the pasta after this time and cook for longer until just al-dente
- Slice the leek into thick circles and then separate the rings. Wash if necessary.
- Heat the teaspoon of oil into a frying pan and put the leeks on to fry. Fry until they are golden and starting to crisp. Remove them from the heat and transfer to a sheet of kitchen paper.
- Juice the lemon into a small bowl along with the olive oil.
- Finely chop the parsley and add it to the lemon juice.
- Grate, crush or finely chop the garlic and add it to the lemon and parsley.
- Add three quarters of the parmesan cheese, stir well and season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta and pour over the lemony oil, stir well to coat every piece of pasta.
- Serve the pasta up and sprinkle over the crispy leeks and remaining parmesan cheese.
Caroline Hannam says
This was absolutely delicious and just what I needed with only a few options in the fridge/cupboard.
Claire McEwen says
Oh I am glad to hear that Caroline, thank you for coming back to comment.
I definitely want to try this one at home! Looks delicious!
Claire McEwen says
If you love lemon then this is definitely the recipe for you 🙂