I love the simplicity of this dish. Spicy and hot teamed with sweet and cold. Opposites. Simple but complex. What is more this is easy to prepare. The flavours all work so perfectly together, the spicy fragrant chicken and the sweet crunchy salsa. All you need to accompany it is an ice cold beer.
This is a great dish to cook outside when you have guests. Make the salsa up in the morning and once everyone is ready to eat, just cook the chicken on the barbecue.
It is one of only two sweetcorn dish that Mr 7 will eat! I think he is the only child (other than Mr 4) who doesn’t eat corn! He eats so many foods that traditionally aren’t child friendly. He will demolish a bowl of olives, wolf down mussels, slather seaweed caviar onto his french bread, and he adores really dark bitter chocolate. But give him vanilla ice cream and his face falls as he doesn’t like vanilla, try and feed him sweetcorn, which is hardly really a vegetable it is so sweet 😉 and he won’t eat it. The strange and ever changing tastes of children! Although I think Mr 7 is much easier to understand than Mr 4 who changes his preferences almost hourly. Last week he was trying to stick his finger into the butter dish as I made his morning toast, but come lunchtime when I put butter on his bread he said “I hate…I mean I don’t like butter. Butter is yuck” Go figure! Now neither of them eat cauliflower but that is completely understandable 😳
The salsa is great on it’s own and if I have any left over chicken or prawns I like to mix them up with some of this salsa, add a sprinkle of hot chilli and
shovel it into my mouth standing at the kitchen counter, sit back and enjoy an elegant lunch.
If you love this recipe why not sign up for my FREE weekly newsletter, packed with recipes, tips and tricks.
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Grilled Chicken with a Capsicum and Pineapple Salsa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (more or less depending on your tolerance to heat)
- 8 skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 440 g pineapple pieces
- 150 g sweetcorn kernels
- 75 g red capsicum
- 60 g red onion
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- handful coriander
- Mix together the olive oil, cumin and cayenne pepper.
- Massage the mixture over the chicken thighs and season with salt.
- Pre-heat the barbie and then grill the chicken smooth side down for 7 minutes until golden with char lines.
- Alternatively heat a griddle pan over a high heat.
- Flip the chicken over, turn down the heat and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile chop the pineapple into small pieces and add to a bowl along with the sweetcorn.
- Finely chop the red capsicum and red onion. Add to the pineapple.
- Stir everything to combine and dress with the lime juice and salt.
- Serve the grilled chicken with a generous amount of the relish, a lime wedge and a sprinkling of coriander.