Apple pie, is there anything better? And this apple pie is the best, packed with apples, cinnamon a hint of nutmeg all inside a buttery pastry!!! So good!!!!
I am handing over to the wonderful Judy today. She is a pie master!!!
My mom used to say apple pie without cheese, is like a kiss without a squeeze. I loved to hear her say that almost as much as I love apple pie.
Whats your favorite topping on apple pie? Whipping cream, ice cream, sprinkles, cinnamon, brown sugar, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, funfetti?
Or are you like me, prefer your apple pie straight up, slightly warm, those fragrant aromas of cinnamon, nutmeg, butter and brown sugar .hmmmm, getting hungry? Then lets bake a pie!
Recently I travelled to visit friends and on my way decided my best contribution to dinner would be an apple pie. My friend Jon loves to bake and has all of the tools, so I knew that wouldnt be a problem, and that he would have lots of flour to work with!.
I popped in to the local grocery store before my arrival and picked up:
- 5 lb bag of apples
- Dark brown sugar
- Corn starch
- Butter (for the pastry)
What I didnt have nor had I used before was an old-fashioned apple peeler you know the kind that you crank by hand? Well I must say I was a bit sceptical, but Jon convinced me and we were off. Enough apples peeled in minutes!
Once the pastry dough is made and this is really an easy recipe and process to follow, all you need to do is mix up the apples while the dough is chilling (usually about 30 minutes).
Rolling out pastry dough is so relaxing to me yes I know a real pie geek! I just love to bake pies. I like to use a pastry mat that shows the measurements or keep the pie plate nearby to help guide you with the size. Cut the pastry along the edge of the pie plate with a knife, and then Flute the edges using your fingers.
I brush the bottom piecrust with cornstarch to help soak up the juice and also mix a little into the apples. Mound the apples in the centre and place the top crust on. Here is where you can really let your creativity run wild! You can see I fun making a design with the pastry cutter and a fork.
And the end result? A beautiful golden, mouth-watering apple pie. (insert picture) The perfect gift for your host and hostess!
Baking tip: My students have asked why their top crusts puff up so high when baking and the fruit sinks leaving a huge cavity. Heres why. The top pie crust cooks and becomes hard but the apples cook down much more slowly. The solution? Par cook your apples (before mixing in the spices and sugar) in the microwave at 3 minute intervals just to soften them. Then mix in the sugar and spices, add some lemon juice and I always mix in cornstarch and Ive included that in my recipe.
Apple Pie (Guest Post)
- 6 medium apples - peeled and chopped
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp . cornstarch
- 1 tbsp . flour
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ cup Butter
- ½ fresh lemon squeezed
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 whole egg and 1 tbsp. water - for the egg wash at the end
- Pastry dough for a two crust pie
- Cook the apples, white and brown sugar, cornstarch, flour and cinnamon until the apples are fully coated.
- Add lemon juice and lemon zest
- Place the apple filling into the bottom pie crust and spread evenly
- Dot with the butter
- Cover with the top pie crust. I like to use a floating crust as shown in the lecture, but feel free to experiment here!
- Cut vents in the top pie crust for even cooking and flaky pastry.
- Beat the egg in a small cup and a Tbsp. of water. This is the egg wash that you brush on the top of the piecrust and edges to give it a lovely golden colour.
- Bake in the bottom third of a 350 degree oven for 45-55 minutes