Sometimes you just have to get on a trend train. No matter how much you want to resist following fads and crazies, some food trends are worth following.
And granola is one of them. I am not saying granola is new, but recently there has been a sea of homemade granola recipes on pinterest. Granola is essentially a mixture of oats, nuts and puffed rice (or other cereal based produce), which growing up we called muesli 😉 but they are different. Granola is baked until crisp, where as muesli tends to be softer. And before I send you all to sleep waffling on any more about the ins and outs, I will just tell you that this granola is THE best! This is apple crumble granola.
Think sweet apples, aromatic cinnamon, rich maple syrup and a crunchy mix of oats, rice and nuts. It tastes like you are eating a pudding for breakfast 🙂
I have been making this for a few weeks for Stew to take to work. He rarely gets up early enough for breakfast, so a box of this when he gets to work means I get texts that say "This granola is ammmmazing x" I decided that was grounds enough to share it with you 😉
I buy the dried apple from pantry man, but you can get it in all the supermarkets. Just make sure it is the dried apple not the one that is crystallised. And although it means keeping two tubs in the pantry rather than one, I don't add it to the granola until it is served as I worry the moisture will ruin the crunch. Stew eats this dry at work, I prefer it with milk, although then I eat it as quickly as possible as I cannot stand soggy cereal!
The smell when you bake this is wonderful, the kitchen is filled with the wonderful aromas of nuts and cinnamon. It is a mixture of christmas and sunday afternoon baking. Go on, get on the food fad that is homemade granola.
If you love this recipe why not subscribe to my newsletter, then you can have delicious recipes straight into your inbox. What is more as a thank you I will send you my soup ebook for FREE!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Also find me on:
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Apple Crumble Granola
- 160 g rolled oats
- 75 g puffed rice
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- 100 ml water
- 1 tablespoon oil (see notes)
- 4 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 100 g dried apple - you could leave this out and chop a fresh apple up instead
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/150ºC fan forced/Gas mark¾.
- Line a large baking sheet with cooking paper.
- Pour the rolled oats and puffed rice into a large bowl.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, puffed rice, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Use a jug to mix together the water, oil, and maple syrup.
- Pour the syrup mixture into the cereal mixture, and gently stir until everything has been coated.
- Spread the granola out onto your baking sheet and bake for an an hour. Gently stir the granola and bake for a further 15-20 minutes until crunchy.
- Allow to cool and then transfer to an airtight container.
- When you are ready to serve chop ¾ apple rings into a cup of granola.
- Enjoy with or without milk
I didn't 😉
In my last 4 batches I have used walnut oil, macadamia nut oil, lemon oil and standard sunflower oil. There was a slight difference (with lemon being my fav), but not enough to justify buying a bottle of oil.
The choice, as they say, is yours x
This post has been shared over at Fearlessly Creative Mammas.